Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bacterial canker

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 10:44

I believe it is on two small limbs of my Italian plum. Last Fall I cut out the canker down to the clean white cambium. Sprayed it with copper and fungicide (not both at the same time) last fall and this spring. As soon as the sap started flowing this spring, the clear ooze started again. But then it turned rock hard yellow. There was never a hole in the limbs from borers. Last week I noticed another weeping section (almost like a quarter-inch tear in the bark, about two inches down from one of the infected limbs. Can this disease be cured. Or is it better just to take off both of the limbs. Its too bad, as the tree is loaded with plums this year. There is another post asking for the ID of tree diseases. Mine looks like his last picture. Thanks Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bacterial canker

MrsG,

I remembered an old post stated that you could use bleach to kills the bacterial canker. You can try that method to see if it works. We used bleach to kill all the germs in our hematology department on a daily basis.

Tony

o
RE: bacterial canker

Thanks Tony, I"l try it! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here