Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecucumbers

Weird-a$$ watermelon leaves--what's wrong?

Hi all,

These ain't looking right. Any "garden doctors" know what might be ailing these plants?

Comments (8)

• greenman62
    9 years ago

well, im not an expert on watermelons, but i do remember hearing that if the leaves curl up on tomato, iit from over-watering. -(or not enough)

also kinda looks like a mildew,r virus or fungus on the leaves which also could be due to over-watering . and if you can water the roots, and not get it on the leaves.
    (unless you are doing a foliar spray, which may help)

more info would help
    like Temps, how much water it gets, how big it is, how much fertilizer and what kind you have fed it, how much sun...
    any fruit on the plant ?

link below has some good info

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0715504313394.html

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Just read the link you provided. It very well could be too much water. I use a sprinkler to water these and other plants in my raised beds. So water does get on the leaves.

No fruit yet on the plants--they were transplanted at the beginning of this month. (I'm in zone 6b.) It's been hot--in the 80s and 90s. All-day sun. Have not fertilized at all, but the soil in the beds is full of compost and nutrient-rich.

I will detach the sprinkler and water everything with a sprayer attachment, setting it on soaker.

Is it too late for the watermelons to recover?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo. I pulled this plant out of the ground. Is this mosaic virus? If so, I guess all of my plants must be destroyed. Is there any way to sterilize the soil? Must I completely empty my raised bed?

• rayrose
    9 years ago

It looks like some kind of fungus. You might try spraying with a good fungicide, and eliminate the over head watering. That should solve the problem.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, rayrose!

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

You would have to show an extremely close-up view for a diagnosis of mosaic virus to be accurate.

Many squash, melon, pumpkin leaves are prone to mildew. In a continuously wet environment, it is no problem. Where there are wettings and dryings at certain temperatures, it takes off.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Any herbicides used anywhere in the vicinity?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Not in my yard, at least, but I don't know about the neighbors. Every other plant looks fine.