Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you Sweat a Tree That's Already in the Ground?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 10:53

In April I planted some American Persimmon trees I got from the county soil conservation office. There is still green beneath the bark but no buds. Since then I heard that bare root persimmon sometimes need to be "sweated".

Is there any way to do this after the tree has been planted? With Tree Tubes and a plastic bag? Any fertilizers or hormones that encourage trees to break dormancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you Sweat a Tree That's Already in the Ground?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:53

Never heard of sweating. Just be careful you don't cook the tree. Anything over 100F is unlikely to be healthly or helpful.

Persimmon are slow to leaf out especially after planting. Sometimes not until summer or later.

o

I received a Smith from JF&E and it's just beginning to leaf out now. I hope this is not the case every year because it will need to go dormant before it even gets going.

o

Bare root trees always take longer to leaf out the first year.

o

Seems very late. I ordered some very late trees (bare root) ..some came only a few weeks ago, but even those have started sending out shoots all over.

Sounds dead, but who knows.

o

Not all bare root take long to leaf out the first year. In my experience, most of my trees leave out in a few weeks.

Not Nikita's Gift persimmon I planted bare root on April 14, this year. It took almost two months to bud out. Now it's late June, there are 3 small shoots with some leaves. Don't think the leaves are fully open, either.

I've heard that persimmon takes much longer time than most other fruit trees. It's true to me.

I planted it, mulched, and water it if no rain for a week, just like other trees.

o

The Smith I received last fall was not bare root. I up-potted and kept it in my garage with my figs. I hope this years slow start is an anomaly. After thinking it was dead though, seeing little green sprouts made me very happy.

You've got nothing to lose by giving it some more time, but I would be hesitant to "sweat" it. If it doesn't make it you won't be sure if it was the sweating or not that did it in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here