Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate rabbit

Posted by Fruitcraz 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 10:54

I Went out to check on the orchard and garden and found out that the rabbit has bitten my two new grafted carmine jewel cherries on colt rootstock I grafted myself in half about 6" off the ground in a 45 degree angle.. I don't know why they just slice the trees in half but not eat the cut off portions. I will fence the trees now and wait for the new sprouts above the graft and in the mean time the pellet gun is loaded and ready for war. An eye for an eye. Wish me luck.

FC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate rabbit

Darn!...good luck!

o

Shenandoah Valley Rabbit Casserole

RabbitSalt & pepperThymeBay leavesBaconWaterSeasoned bread crumbs
Cut rabbit into serving pieces (avoid sack in gall bladder). Soak young rabbit 1 to 2 hours, older ones soak 12 to 18 hours in 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water. After soaking wrap meat in damp cloth and store overnight in cold place. Butter a casserole dish and add layers of rabbit pieces; sprinkle with salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 3 bay leaves. Add 5 slices bacon. Repeat until all rabbit is used.

Pour 1 cup water over casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours or until tender. Remove cover and sprinkle with 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs. Bake another 30 minutes and serve.

Slow Cooked Rabbit

1 wild rabbit [cleaned, in pieces] 2 T. butter
2 cloves garlic [minced] 1 onion [chopped]
Dash of salt 2 C. Water
4 T. brown sugar 1 T. chili powder
4 T. Worcestershire sauce 4 T. vinegar
1 tsp. Tabasco 1 C. catsup

Place rabbit pieces in slow cooker. In saucepan, put all other ingredients; bring to boil for 1 minute. Pour sauce over rabbit in slow cooker. Turn on low heat for 6-7 hours until tender.

Rabbit On a Stick

marinade
4lb deboned rabbit backs and legs cut into small cubes
4tbl spoons olive oil
5cloves garlic minced
2tbl spoons rosemary
3tbl spoons parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Place rabbit "cotton tail> cubes in combined marinade and let marinade over night

Place rabbit on skewers "small portions> roll skewers in flour then in egg then in seasoned bread crumbs.

Heat a cast iron frying pan with oil and brown skewers in oil place browned skewers in roasting pan standing vertical and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes enjoy serve with a nice Niagara merlot.
Happy Hunting and Good Gunning!

o

Brady,

Thanks

FC

o

Sight it in, and hit 'em between the eyes.
No guilt, plenty of rabbits to go around.
If you think they're cute, get a pet rabbit.

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o

You need a good dog!

o

You need one of those bigger than usual hybrid cats.

Brady- i suppose that recipe would do woodchuck too. We shot one that had set up shop IN my moms garden it weighed 36 pounds.

o

Most cats will do in baby rabbits, which helps keep the population in check. I sure miss my rabbit-hunting cat who'd bring down the really big ones.

o

Agreed, rabbit is delicious.
My personal favorite way to cook it is to bake it in a cake pan full of brown sugar baked beans with onions and potatoes.

o

Hybrid Cat?

http://www.myxer.com/get/item/386846

o

They did the same to me, since I was slow in fencing my Crimson Passion cherry (from St. Lawrence Nursery.). I'm convinced they take a bite and decide its not tasty enough to eat. Too late though. I have enough left that it's growing again behind its fence. Good luck with your plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here