Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
damage to apple tree trunk/bark, what do I do?

Posted by mocknbird MoCo, MD (6B) (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 11:01

This is why I mow my own lawn. For the first time ever, I had somebody else mow. He used a weedwacker on my 3 year old Arkansas Black that I had been nursing along. He chewed out a square patch of bark, about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches about 3 inches above where the tree meets the ground.

What do I do? Can I do anything to help this tree survive?

Will this be a fatal injury? thanks, Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: damage to apple tree trunk/bark, what do I do?

I know what you mean,..new house owners next to me did the same thing on a tree, [one of mine] had to educate them.

As long you have some remaining bark left you should be OK.
What I do in a case like this, cut off all loose bark and seal with Dr. Farwell's heal & seal, prevents from drying and cracking, it takes several years to grow together.

o
RE: damage to apple tree trunk/bark, what do I do?

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 16:21

Hard to say from the unknown size of the tree how much 1.5" is but going by my 3 year old trees I would say it will be fine on its own. I think even my 3 year old dwarf tree could deal with 1.5". But that would be enough to plan on replacing my 2 year old dwarf grafts.

My roommate is good about weed eating trees to death. It's only a whack here and there (except for the new tree that he debarked clear around once), but a little bit every week for 6 months adds up. It took a lot of yelling to get him to stop weed eating the trees at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here