Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving peach tree with bridge graft?

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 11:06

In trying to save my peaches, I may have lost my tree. I placed my raccoon trap just a tad too close to the tree, and after he was caught, his final revenge was to claw and chew the trunk. The Red Haven tree is approximately 3" in diameter, and 3/4 of the bark has been lost. I wondered about simply wrapping the trunk with Saran Wrap to keep it moist, but then I thought I would attempt my first bridge graft. I've read up on the subject in Garner's textbook. For those of you with first-had experience, is it important to use wax to seal the grafts? I have never used wax before--this doesn't seem like a good application for Parafilm.

Thanks for ideas.
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving peach tree with bridge graft?

Marc:

Bummer!!!! Unfortunately from my view the prospects for your tree aren't good even with a successful bridge graft. If it were an apple it might well survive without help. But a peach in zone 5 is already on the edge.

It won't hurt to try but don't get your hopes up. I'd plant another tree and hope this one makes a few more crops.

Maybe someone with first hand experience will say I'm all wet. Good Luck!!

o

Ditto. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on.

o

Yeah, that's pretty much a mess. But I've had them as bad from deer "buck rub" and survive at least a few years. That is a very, very big gap to cover. Honestly long term, though, it will probably get some kind of rot and die in a couple of seasons even if it can compartmentalize this damage and survive for a while. That was the scenario on mine. I've had oh sooooooo many trees killed by Bambi over the past couple of decades, or at least damaged.

I assume the back side of the tree has intact bark? It will survive that way at least long enough to ripen a crop if you have one this year.

In my crazy horticultural mish-mash world, I say try it if you feel you must, because you don't have a lot to loose. But I have a thought for you. Rather than trying to bridge graft with bark, is there any possibility you could get your hands on a pretty thin, young, whip type peach tree, plant it on the damaged side, and do an inarch graft???

Also, fungicide is your friend at this point, I would dust the wound with something like Captan powder to help keep it clean, or even maybe Rootone F to promote healing. Once again, I have NO scientific proof this works, but I do it and it seems to work for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Carolina State University extension brochure that shows inarch grafting

o

My final thought. We're getting into sale/clearance season at nurseries. Might be able to pick up a nice replacement at a bargain. Baby it all summer in a pot and it will be good to go for fall. I've seen some pretty big potted trees out there at some of the local nurseries and even at Wal-Mart (yes, I go there once in a great while to the garden center) and HD/Lowes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here