Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can I use to 'plug' this hole?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 11:06

Some years ago a limb on an apple tree was cut off from wind damage & a hole remains the now healed over area where the limb was. I'm afraid water or ? will get into thoe hole & start some rotting of the tree. Is there some kind of 'clay', cement or similar I can plug this hole with? I realize the broken limb left a very unhealthy area where it once was!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can I use to 'plug' this hole?

Perhaps wood putty and some tree wound sealant after it cures?

o

ordinary cement or mortar work quite well; paint over it with white latex paint if you like. Wood putty has solvents that can damage the tree.

o

Leave it be. A hole, even if filled with water, isn't a problem.

Anything you might do to "fix" it is old school and will enable rot.

o

shigo. long weekend. fireplace. wine. read.

shigo performed his work from a standpoint of forestry, but the basic principles of plant response are the same. in short, don't.

o

You don't have to join the Shigo cult to learn the basics of tree wound healing, although he was the whacky pioneer of our understanding of the process.

I prefer Richard Harris, who digests a wide range of research for the nourishment of his arboricultural vision. Shigo has only a taste for his own cooking and makes theological leaps that defy science, IMO. He is more entertaining than Harris though.

Cement in trees creates a future nightmare for the arborist. I've had to remove dead scaffolds of ancient trees where I have to use a pick to break out the mortar to save my chain saw.

As Strob indicates, current science says "leave wound alone".

o

Is it better to leave the wound alone than to clean out rot and to drill holes to provide for drainage?

Thanks,

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here