Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Yellow raspberries

ltilton
10 years ago

I'm thinking of trying raspberries again. Is there an advantage to yellow ones like Anne wrt birds, which seem to prefer red fruits?

Is there a disadvantage to fall-bearing raspberries wrt other pests? I'm thinking of sap beetles in particular, that make it not worthwhile to grow fall-bearing strawberries.

Comments (12)

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

the birds completely missed my yellow raspberries, they pecked at my red raspberries and blackberries...

can't speak to your disease concerns, pretty disease free here in CA...

• don555
    10 years ago

I've never had birds interested in my raspberries. There is some kind of insect that sucks the juice from raspberries, but it only ever seems to attack the black raspberries (Wyoming Black). I think my yellow is Honeyqueen, starts ripening a week or two after the reds, in summer.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'll look at Honeyqueen.

I'd like something that fruits in July, after strawberries and cherries, before plums. Got a fruit gap there.

• abz5b
    10 years ago

Anne raspberry is fruiting now in my 6a on the floricanes. I'll get another crop in the fall as well. Very sweet listed as a dessert berry by some lol. My sons favorite berry in the garden. Quite large for a raspberry as well.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

Anne is my daughter's favorite as well. They are almost ripe here. I've noticed that they seem a bit pickier than some of my other raspberries about their location. I had some die-out in a slightly wet area, while the other kinds on each side of it were fine. On the other hand, a single Anne which planted on some higher (well drained) ground 20 feet away has been one of my strongest growers and has colonized the entire hillside. It also continues to produce very late into the season (even a bit past the first mild frosts).

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I have both Fall Gold and Anne raspberries planted and my Fall Gold are sweeter and more flavorful than Anne, which goes against all the reviews I've read. Fall Gold also started ripening about a week earlier (both are fruiting right now for me). They get the same sun, water, and they are planted only 10 feet apart. However, the difference in taste could be due to the fact that this is the first year Anne has fruited for me (planted last summer). Maybe in the Fall things will change. But Fall Gold does have small berries that fall apart as soon as you pick them whereas Anne has MUCH larger and sturdier berries.

The only pest I have so far is Japanese beetles (which should be showing up fairly soon) and I haven't seen many birds since a couple cats started hanging around.

Rodney

• abz5b
    10 years ago

Yeah a single Anne will colonize a whole row very aggressive after a few years. Anne's need more potash than other varieties to get their full flavor/needs met. Some hardwood ash will cure that.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I added compost, and fertilized this year in the spring, and my Fall Gold are bigger this year. And yeah they taste great! I have Anne too, but it is a new plant. And Honey Queen, Cascade Gold, Double Gold, and Kiwi Gold.
    I may eliminate them if taste is not up to par. All new plantings. All growing really well.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The aggressive colonizing thing is actually what I'm planning to prevent by container growing them. I've had rasps escape before.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I contain mine in narrow raised beds. 25 inches by 24 feet.
    We have wet springs so this really helps, and they can't escape either.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I have my raspberries planted in the ground with that cheap black plastic edging placed around them (the kind that's meant to keep grass out of flower beds). So far it has kept them from escaping.

Rodney

• lawanddisorder
    10 years ago

Drew, how are your yellow/gold raspberries? I'm trying to decide between Fall Gold, Anne and Double Gold. Any suggestions?