Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to discourage skunks?

Posted by lsoh (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:09

We have a skunk problem. We live in a long established neighborhood at the edge of our small town. Woods and farm fields across the street. The deer rarely cross the road, but we have tons of other critters. The skunks are a problem. Neighbor's dogs got sprayed in their fenced in yard. Last year I caught a skunk in our chipmunk trap. And for several years now, we can't open our windows to cool the house at night because the skunks are prowling and it stinks. (It doesn't stink during the day. The skunks go home.)

The neighborhood does not have trash around. And we aren't even allowed to put our trash out until morning on trash day.

Any ideas how to keep skunks away? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to discourage skunks?

Put large towels or rags soaked in ammonia around your house. It worked for us! Mrs. G

o

MrsG47,

Thanks for the idea. Sounds like a no risk experiment.

o

OK..so how do I catch or deter a raccoon from digging in my lawn for grubs? (think it is raccoon)

o

Make sure there are no grubs) They know exactly where the grubs are - they do not dig, if there are no grubs. Skunks are hunting for grubs too.

o

"Make sure there are no grubs) They know exactly where the grubs are - they do not dig, if there are no grubs. Skunks are hunting for grubs too."

I agree, treat your yard for grubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here