Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssterlingss

Dragonfruit seeds?

Ssterlingss
10 years ago

Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to buy Dragonfruit cuttings in NorCal? Or any advice on how to get my seeds going? I've tried a 50/50 soil and perlite mix, I've tried just regular seeding trays, and now I'm out of seeds! :( ill be getting more soon, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has any better ways or tricks to get them to germinate? They've been in the soil and tray for three or four weeks and I have nothing coming up... :( any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

If you keep them warm and moist and only covered by a thin dusting of soil, fertile dragon fruit seeds should germinate in 2-3 days with a high success rate.

• captaininsano (9b/13) Peoria, AZ.
    10 years ago

I have sprouted them on a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag and they showed signs of sprouting out the next day, they actually sprouted in three days same thing with a plastic cup and soil three days, I put plastic wrap over the top of the cup with a rubber band to keep the moisture in, mine were from a fresh dragonfruit so they were not dried and stored it may take a while longer to germinate if they are, I had the same issue with kiwi, purchased seeds never sprouted but seeds taken from a fresh fruit sprouted within 2 weeks. In my experience though the Dragon Fruit seeds germinate like they are getting paid to.

• Ssterlingss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both!! I will try a couple methods this time, buying more from Amazon today! :)

• blazeaglory
    10 years ago

I just bought some fruit and harvested the seeds. I froze them for 24 hours and have hundreds of them. They germinate like nothing! Ill give you some for free if you want, but they are kind of old so I dont know if they will germinate now :( Maybe like a year old? They are from the white dragon fruit...

Also, so many of my neighbors have Dragon Fruit around here, they let me take cuttings whenever I want...

I cut at the joint, let it dry out in the shade for about a week, then plant in a pot to root (make sure not to over water, they will rot). Maybe you can find one in your neighborhood and ask to cut?

Too bad your not in Westminster, I can show you where they grow wild pretty much

• czecher
    10 years ago

My son-in-law grew them in regular potting soil in the windowsill at their apartment in Vacaville. He got the seeds from a fruit I grew here in North San Diego County. I've tried germinating the seeds from the Vietnamese imported fruit from Asian markets without success. Cuttings are what I mostly deal with.

If you can remind me, I am going to be up in Vacaville in July and could bring a couple cuttings. My memory is so poor that I cannot be trusted to remember on my own.

• Ssterlingss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blazeaglory - I wish I could get some cuttings! No one around here has any, I'd have to drive close to 100 miles to the nearest place with any possibility of having some unfortunately. I just got some new seeds and I'm trying each one in a different way to get it to sprout, so far three days in no luck lol.

Czecher - Vacaville is quite a long drive from where I'm at, close to a couple hours. But I do appreciate the offer! :)

• Sandra Tran
    10 years ago

Growing df from seed will take 7 to 10 years to fruit, if it does. You can buy cuttings of known varieties on line and have it shipped to you. If the cuttings come from an older plant, they should fruit within a couple of years.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists