Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apples are baking in the ziplock baggies

Posted by sharppa z6/PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 11:21

I've done plastic baggies successfully in the past with my apples but this year I'm having trouble with the apples baking in the bags. This is off an espalier apple tree and the apples get a lot of direct sunlight. I'm using ziplock brand bags this year. Anyone seen this with their bagging?

Maybe at this point I can take the bags off except for apple maggot fly problems? I've only had to deal with PC and OFM here so far. This is the first year I did one triazicide spraying early in the season.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apples are baking in the ziplock baggies

I have lost 5 apples from the two days of 90 degree wheather in massachusetts. I'm thinking these apples maybe had an issue that was just pushed with the heat. Maybe they had small imperfections allready. I am keeping an eye out for more.

o

Think I would try to use row cover, cut in square and tie it with a close pin.

o

I lost about 40 apples to this problem out of 200 or so. I went through yesterday and removed the bad ones and switched out the ziplocks with some footies I had. The lower branch apples all seemed fine but only the ones getting full sun were toasted. My William's pride ones are big, too. With this crazy season, I wouldn't be surprised if they are ripe in a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here