Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree that never bears more than a few apples?

Posted by oldryder (4), MN (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 11:30

I have a 5 or 6 year old apple tree (don't know the variety) that never has more than a handful of flowers on it.

There are crabapple and 1/2 dozen varieties of apple tree within a couple of hundred feet so pollination can't be the problem.

Other apple trees in the area seem to do fine.

Tree seems healthy. Tried fertlizing with urea last year didn't seem to help. (although it made the grass grow like crazy!)

This tree is one of 1/2 dozen or so in my lawn, not in an orchard. Tree is mulched about 3' across.

It's been pruned to an open center but it's also too tall and I plan on lowering it this winter. My guess is that it's on standard rootstock since it's much larger than my other trees. (I bought it at a big box before I became aware of rootstocks.)

If I can't figure this out I'll be cutting it down.

so - if you have an otherwise healthy tree that doesn't get many flowers (ever) what do you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree that never bears more than a few apples?

It does sound like it's on a seedling root. If so I'd do just what you said, cut it down. If it's a variety you really want, bud it onto another root first.

o

I have a yellow delicious from a box store that I am guessing is on M7. It is about 5 years old now and has 3 apples on it. I think that it is possible that your tree just might be taking a while to start producing.

It might have hundreds on it next year.

o

Varieties vary widely in their precocity. It can take up to 8 years for some varieties on 111 and even M7 in my climate to begin really producing fruit. A lot depends on the soil as well. Richer soil can make a semi-dwarf behave like a full sized tree.

If you are impatient, around the time the other trees are in bloom, use your pruning saw to cut a half circle through the bark right to the wood on the trunk. Cut the other half of the circle a few inches up the trunk from the first cut. This scoring will probably bring about a good flower set for the next years crop.

o

Hi H-man,
Should I do what you suggested on my Honey Crisp? I bought it in pot in 2008. It must have been 3 yrs old tree then. I don't know the root stock. It probably is around 7 yrs old tree this year. It has grown well and healthy with little to no fertilizer. It has never flowered.

Or should I wait some more? Thank you.

o

If the tree has over a 3" diameter trunk and never flowered I'd probably do it. Honeycrisp isn't usually especially tardy.

o

"Patience, Grasshopper."

I've posted a few times about my Shipova that took years to start to flower. It had a few 2 years ago, a few more last year, and it would have had a good crop this year if they had not all frozen. I think it's about 12-13 years old now. Just takes a while for some trees.

o

I need to check the size of the trunk. It probably about 3" in diameter. It must be on a standard rootstock. I hope the tree was labeled correctly. I bought it from a reputable local nursery.

I may wait a year or two more. With my inexperience, I could turn scoring a tree to torturing or killing it!!!

It's quite frustrating waiting for this tree to fruit when my William's Pride has fruited since its 2nd year from a bare root plant.

o

The first time you worry about killing the tree, but when lightly cutting you can feel when you've hit wood. You could also do it with a sharp knife but cut away a bit less than a quarter inch of bark.

For central leader trees you can score the trunk above the first tier of branches to calm down the top and get it fruiting when that part of the tree is overly vigorous.

o

Thank you very much, H-man. I'll bookmark this suggestion for future use. I don't want tall tree so I made it open-centered.

I read everything you said about tree pruning, too. I've to admit sometimes it's over my head. I always appreciate your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here