Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with strawberries plants after harvest?

Posted by irpingold 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 11:40

What should be done with strawberries in the Fall after they are done producing berries?

Should they be cut down? Last year, I just left them to winter, and they did fine. But, it was a real hassle in the Spring cleaning the old foliage out from in between the new leaves.

I didn't mulch the plants, so I think perhaps the old plant provided a natural "mulch" and warmth for the winter. So, if I cut them down in the Fall, what do I put on top of them for the winter?

Would compost work? And, whatever mulch is put on top, do I have to remove it in the Spring?

Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with strawberries plants after harvest?

If you google your questions you will find a lot of advice online. Briefly, if your bed is in its second year, after harvest you should renovate ( meaning to mow it short without cutting the crown then rototilling it into rows). This will boost yields in following years. As far as mulch a few inches of straw works great, just wait until dormancy (late November early December) to apply. Please do some research online there is alot of good info out there that will help you.
Jake

o
RE: What to do with strawberries plants after harvest?

Disclaimer: I've just started growing strawberries as of a couple years ago, so am by no means an authority on experience. But if labor is no problem and production and neatness and preventing disease and nasty color of leaves are the main goals, replanting every year is the way to go, at least according to the experienced farmer I asked.

It is true that there is alot about alot on the net, and sure check out what is on various google searches (though gardenweb is part of the internet, no?) though I personally enjoy hearing personal experiences from people, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here