Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadamaria

Where can I find a pic of a sprouting strawberry?

JadaMaria
11 years ago

I have been waiting for my strawberries to sprout. We had some rainy and cold weather for a while and finally are now having some heat and sunshine. Some things have sprouted by the strawberries, but I'm not sure what to look for. Do strawberries have those two little first leaves and then get their true leaves or just sprout with the 3 leaves? Sorry about these stupid questions it's just that if none of them are going to sprout I would like to move some other things there. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at, are they weeds or not? A pic or a link to a pic would be awesome! I planted Quinault tubers and sprinkles some Alpine seeds I had.

Comments (8)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

If you'd post a photo, it would be easier to tell if you have strawberries.

Your question is two different things. If your Quinaults were dormant, leaves should develop from the crown in a couple of weeks. They look like ordinary strawberry leaves.

If you planted seeds, they come up looking pretty nondescript, but here is what they look like after growing a few true leaves

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry seedlings

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

There are some at the link. (I just Googled 'strawberry seedling') There are two seed leaves before the lobes start appearing.

This site is good for iding seeds and seedlings but it let me down on strawberries.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry seedling

• JadaMaria
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bummer I think they are all duds. Nothing looks like that. :( I planted 10. I would have been happy with 1. I did try and take a pic, but when I uploaded it the site said the file size was too big. Is there a chance they could up next year?

• JadaMaria
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bummer I think they are all duds. Nothing looks like that. :( I planted 10. I would have been happy with 1. I did try and take a pic, but when I uploaded it the site said the file size was too big. Is there a chance they could up next year?

• calliope
    11 years ago

Hello people.........this person planted strawberry roots, not tiny seedlings. They should come ripping up in spring, and they won't look like tiny seedlings. When did you set out the crowns? If you planted them dormant this spring yes, you should have long ago seen signs of life. If planted last fall, your berry season is already over. When foliage comes from the crown of tubers it doesn't get a tiny little leaf. Normal size leaves erupt. Sprinkling strawberry seeds outside on the ground isn't very successfuly either. They're even a little iffy sown in a greenhouse under controlled conditions. Please.......when did you plant them, and how were they purchased and when.

• SoTX
    11 years ago

New growth sprouts from the crown, but my guess is you buried it rather than planted at the surface? Just a thought.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

The first two leaves are kind of roundish then you will start to see the true set of "fingered" leaves". Ive been waiting for a month now and out of 30 seeds about 15 sprouted and now only 2 are still growing. I dont know if its the outdoor elements, too late in the season, too much chlorine in my hose water or what. I do know Ive had better success with distilled or filtered water. Mine are in a small pot though. Some have said it is kind of difficult to sprout seeds and get them going but once you master it its good.

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Jada had posted earlier in the season about this, she planted bare root runners, not seeds. Jada I'm afraid you must have buried the crown when you planted them, they should have been up by now with a good amount of growth.