Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant large Paw Paw trees? Not many blooms.

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:57

I have 3 Paw Paw trees about 12' tall that I planted 5 years ago.

They are not grafts. Either started from seed or cuttings I didn't ask when I bought them from a small nursery.

I planted them in a spot that is really shaded, they get almost no direct sun. I planted them there because I read somewhere that they grow well as an understory tree.

They are growing vigorously and are really healthy, but they only have 4 or 5 blooms on each one every year.

Could this be because of too much shade?

I have a spot with full sun that I can transplant them to if that would help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant large Paw Paw trees? Not many blooms.

It's (shade) probably the culprit. I'd wait till february to transplant, and you might have to head it back if you don't get enough roots.

o

Pawpaw root systems are very fragile, especially the tap root.
If you aim to transplant them, you would have to ensure not to disturb the tap root.

I'd probably choose to get some seeds and go thru the process of growing a new one rather than risk losing them all due to root damage.

Its a tough species to uproot without killing.
Maybe others with more experience have better ideas.

o

I have a backhoe with a large bucket and the ground is very soft so I could probably get all of the taproot in one scoop.

It would be disturbed but probably/hopefully not too bad?

If they aren't ever going to produce, loosing them wouldn't be much of a loss.

I could thin out the trees that are shading them and sell the wood for saw timber or firewood, 40" diameter oak and hickory trees.

o

I transplanted a number of 5 - 7 year old pawpaw trees early this spring without taking monster root balls and all are doing well. Not to discourage taking as much root as you can - the more, the better - but it will still be okay with a smaller root ball. I would transplant just before bud break in the spring.

o

Very late winter or early spring transplanting is part of the secret. Pawpaw, unlike most deciduous trees, does not have recovery root growth while still dormant.

Thinning the top growth to balance for loss of roots is always a good idea, but strongly consider painting the truck and branches with thin white (or in any case light colored) diluted latex pain or whitewash (which will wear off in a year or two).

Full sun in 7b may be too much though. It is for mine.

o

Thanks to all, I will be transplanting next March or so!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here