Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schlemoc

New House - Help ID these Trees

Schlemoc
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to see that there is a forum dedicated to orchard management. I have been spending a lot of time reading up on the various comments, including grafting. My dad tried to get an orchard going rather unsuccessfully. I just purchased a house that has existing trees in the yard, some of which we can not identify. I was hoping some of you would be able to help. The prior owner's husband who planted them is deceased, so she was not able to assist us.

Comments (20)

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up of the above tree

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tree #2

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tree #3

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tree #3 close up - I'm thinking this is an apple.

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a Tree, but a very old, large bush. I have 3 shots of it to try to help.

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A view of how large it is.

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last photo, and a close up of the shrub.

• spartan-apple
    11 years ago

Greetings:

Photo #1 appears to be a striped bark maple.

Photo #2 might be a Corylus? Just a guess. Not positive.

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. Thanks for your input! The previous owner thought the first one was a hazelnut tree. If it is, I'd like to keep it. If not, I would rather replace it with some sort of fruit/nut tree. I'll google images of those two and compare! Thanks!

• spartan-apple
    11 years ago

Sorry, I should have mentioned Corylus is the genus for
    hazelnut.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

#3 looks like cherry wood... sour cherry?

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a possiblity. There is one cherry tree (non-producing that I want to graft on, that's another topic), and 2 pie cherry trees.

• cousinfloyd
    11 years ago

I'd say #1 looks very much like some kind of non-native maple.

My first thought on #2 was hazelnut, then I thought mulberry but a closer look at the leaf margins has me thinking hazelnut again. (Obviously I don't really know.)

#3 looks very cherry to me.

Does the bush have compound leaves? Or is that something else growing up through it?

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Yes, #2 is a hazelnut (filbert). Not sure how productive one isolated bush will be. And yours has not been pruned for ease of harvest.

• northerngrapes
    11 years ago

Stop...#3 looks to me like Buckthorn. If it has thorns, thats the giveaway. If that is the case...do not eat the berries!

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So some follow up questions:

Anyone want a striped maple in SW PA?

The Filbert Hazelnut - I was reading that it is typically male and female plants, or would I be fine just finding a different hazelnut to pollinate?

I know it's not a mulberry. I've grown up around mulberry trees. I agree at first glance it appeared to be one, but is not. However, I do have about a dozen mulberry trees in various sizes around the property. I plan on transplanting them to my dad's 20 acres to make a mulberry orchard. I make wine out of the berries.

Tree #3 does not have thorns that I noticed. I'll double check on my way over today. If it does, then I'll be sure to put it on my removal list.

Any guesses on the giant bush? I have two of them in the yard. The largest one from picture four is the size of a chevy pickup.

• dirtslinger2
    11 years ago

Just gueeses but...
    1. Pensylvania maple. A shame to remove, hopefully you have space to plant fruit elsewhere. Unless that's a big crack in the trunk then taker out.
    2. Hazelnut
    3. Pin cherry
    4. Vaccinium? Looks a lot like a healthy blueberry to me.

• Schlemoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#4 is not a blueberry. I'll have to look up your thoughts. They are the size of Chevy silverado 350 trucks. I assume they are very old, but I'm not sure.

The problem with the striped Pa maple is that it is roughly 10' from the Hazelnut. I'd have to get one or the other to move some. It's an interesting tree.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Just find a different hazelnut to pollinate.

• canadianplant
    11 years ago

One and 2 look like the native snakebark maple (Acer Penncylvanium)(sp). The good thing is they THRIVE in shade, so even if you plant trees around it, it wont get shaded out. I wouldnt remove it.