Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for suggestions:-)

Posted by Itzybitzy 7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 12:00

I will be replacing my plum and peach tree this fall they are infected with some yellow goop stuff(forgot the name),I made the mistake on planting them 2 years ago not knowing how difficult are to manage:(any ways I think I will be replacing the strawberries too,I grow my fruits and vegetables organic and was thinking figs and blueberries will be easier to manage,so I'm looking for recomendation in varieties,since my space is limited I only want to grow the tastiest ones.I live in central NC and prefer the purple figs,but will consider others,thanks in advance:o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for suggestions:-)

on the north side of Greensboro, growing rabbiteye and southern highbush blueberries(10), wild & thorny blackberries (i only have to clip them where i dont want them to grow..) and just starting couple pear trees from CenturyOrchard near Reidsville (well recommended).

o

As far as the taste of rabbiteye blueberries, I'd rate Powder Blue, Premier, and Tifblue (and several other varieties) as very good, Climax as a little better, Brightwell as a couple degrees better yet, and Yadkin, which I wish I had discovered sooner, as clearly the best. I haven't yet tried Columbus, but Edible Landscaping's description and recommendation leaves me wanting to try it.

Figs are so easy to root, that I'd recommend tasting your neighbor's/friend's figs this summer and layering/rooting a branch of your favorite for yourself.

o

I should have mentioned Centurion in my list of blueberries, too. It's better than average in taste and seems pretty late, so might be a top choice for extending the season.

o

jimfnc:D we may be neighbors(northwest Gso.);o)Have to check up that nursery,I have cedars near by so I'll stay away from apples and pears.Cousinfloyd:D I actually have a couple of neighbors with fig trees everytime I ask what variety?their answer is well is small green/purplish I got it at the farmers market,lol.Last night I checked this website that had a huge list of varieties I had no idea they are so many,overwelming...everysingle description was after the size and color,good,very good,excellent,tasty,the best.So there is not kind of good variety, huh...Where do you get the blueberry plants I bet those aren't available @ the big box store...

o

My blueberries came mostly from the farmers market at Sandy Ridge. I've learned to be careful buying from vendors who know blueberries and have only bb's suited for the area. Have learned from some bad choices at bix box..

o

Itzybitzy, you said figs and blueberries, however, I will mention Pawpaws and persimmons that are also easy to manage. On the blueberries, I grow most listed by cousinfloyd, and will add O'Neal, for me it ripens about 3 weeks ahead of Climax. If my Premier tastes as bland this year as last year, the 7' bush is going to be pulled out.

o

so true jimfnc,early spring they where offering @ the big box... "hardy lemon trees" for $50.00 and the tag said hardy to 30 degrees,it gets way cooler here so I passed,when I returned couple weeks later they were sold out...I guess they don't really care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here