Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzybitzy_gw

Looking for suggestions:-)

itzybitzy_gw
11 years ago

I will be replacing my plum and peach tree this fall they are infected with some yellow goop stuff(forgot the name),I made the mistake on planting them 2 years ago not knowing how difficult are to manage:(any ways I think I will be replacing the strawberries too,I grow my fruits and vegetables organic and was thinking figs and blueberries will be easier to manage,so I'm looking for recomendation in varieties,since my space is limited I only want to grow the tastiest ones.I live in central NC and prefer the purple figs,but will consider others,thanks in advance:o)

Comments (7)

• jimfnc
    11 years ago

on the north side of Greensboro, growing rabbiteye and southern highbush blueberries(10), wild & thorny blackberries (i only have to clip them where i dont want them to grow..) and just starting couple pear trees from CenturyOrchard near Reidsville (well recommended).

• cousinfloyd
    11 years ago

As far as the taste of rabbiteye blueberries, I'd rate Powder Blue, Premier, and Tifblue (and several other varieties) as very good, Climax as a little better, Brightwell as a couple degrees better yet, and Yadkin, which I wish I had discovered sooner, as clearly the best. I haven't yet tried Columbus, but Edible Landscaping's description and recommendation leaves me wanting to try it.

Figs are so easy to root, that I'd recommend tasting your neighbor's/friend's figs this summer and layering/rooting a branch of your favorite for yourself.

• cousinfloyd
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned Centurion in my list of blueberries, too. It's better than average in taste and seems pretty late, so might be a top choice for extending the season.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jimfnc:D we may be neighbors(northwest Gso.);o)Have to check up that nursery,I have cedars near by so I'll stay away from apples and pears.Cousinfloyd:D I actually have a couple of neighbors with fig trees everytime I ask what variety?their answer is well is small green/purplish I got it at the farmers market,lol.Last night I checked this website that had a huge list of varieties I had no idea they are so many,overwelming...everysingle description was after the size and color,good,very good,excellent,tasty,the best.So there is not kind of good variety, huh...Where do you get the blueberry plants I bet those aren't available @ the big box store...

• jimfnc
    11 years ago

My blueberries came mostly from the farmers market at Sandy Ridge. I've learned to be careful buying from vendors who know blueberries and have only bb's suited for the area. Have learned from some bad choices at bix box..

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

Itzybitzy, you said figs and blueberries, however, I will mention Pawpaws and persimmons that are also easy to manage. On the blueberries, I grow most listed by cousinfloyd, and will add O'Neal, for me it ripens about 3 weeks ahead of Climax. If my Premier tastes as bland this year as last year, the 7' bush is going to be pulled out.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so true jimfnc,early spring they where offering @ the big box... "hardy lemon trees" for $50.00 and the tag said hardy to 30 degrees,it gets way cooler here so I passed,when I returned couple weeks later they were sold out...I guess they don't really care.