Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple pruning horizonal branches

Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:06

I have some horizontal branch that are putting off the vertical shoots. these branches are desirable, except I have learned that horizontal does the vertical shoots and no fruit buds. So at this point what do I do? Seems too late to stake them at a better angle, or is it? So how do I fix this?

I bought these trees from a reputable nursery, but they give no instruction beyond how to transplant. We had read some stuff on the web, but most of it was inadequate. Just found this forum this year so now learning fast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple pruning horizonal branches

CCK:

Actually forcing a branch to the horizontal induces and encourages formation of fruiting spurs/buds.

Yes, the tree will try to push growth "upwards" ( because it wants to be a tree and not a fence) these shoots can be pruned down to 2-3 inches and they will convert to fruiting spurs/buds.

Mike

o

• Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 22:28

So prune them off now or when?

o

See this:
Training and Pruning your home orchard
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/pnw/pnw400.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Training and Pruning your home orchard

o

A 90 degree angle from the trunk does encourage a lot of vertical secondary branching. Somewhere around 60 degrees should be the goal during training. Not sure what your situation is.

o

Bend them down or prune them off now, at your option. It is not too late to get your verticals to develop some fruit buds for next year if you bend them down right away using weights or whatever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here