Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

defeated by peach leaf curl - alternatives?

User
11 years ago

I have had a losing battle with the curl on my nectarine, every year. I either miss a crucial spray or get the timing wrong (and it took long enough before I could bring myself to even spray at all - nothing else gets it).

So, maybe I am being completely unrealistic and on the plus side, the nectarine can give way to a rather nice almond 'Ingrid' which has spent a couple of years sitting in a pot in my garden (cross-pollination issues).

Even so, what about apricots? I have a little dwarf peach in my garden but cannot see more than a dozen or so fruits (assuming it survives its present catastrophe). I am greedy, I'm afraid, and want lots.

Also, on another fruit matter, my Jubilee plum looks as though it has been totally infested with some horrible leaf distorting aphid whiler a Warickshire drooper 3 metres away is OK. What should I do. Too late to (ahem) spray anything?

Comments (5)

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Spraying seems to make the difference between 'Wanting lots' and Getting lots! I spray copper in late Feb. (for PLC) and again in the spring. Sometimes a little Peach Leaf curl still comes through (sometimes) and destroys a few peaches but not many. Also you can spray Daconil if you prefer,at the same times you would spray Copper. In the interim my spraying schedule (every two weeks) involves a fungicide or two and an insecticide. I never spray during bloom time. My apricots are treated as I treat my peaches. It is never too late to start a spray schedule. We have many other insects that destroy our fruit trees, thus we cannot be casual about spraying. Mrs. G

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no, very true, MrsG. I have not seen anything like the fervour (and superciliousness) of the no-spray advocates on this forum. I have been growing fruit at my allotment for the last 10 years and have had a harsh education - (gooseberries, long lost to American mildew) Blackcurrants (big Bud and reversion) Raspberries, numerous virus issues and mildew last year too) peaches (well!) cherries (the rampaging birds and the everpresent threat of various cankers, apples (codling moth) pears (midge) plums (leaf curling aphids, strawbs (botrytis and redcore). Had 'em all. So, this would-be organic gardener has had to give in to pragmatism and break out the copper (would have no potatoes or tomatoes, 8 years out of 10 otherwise).....I have not even started on the veggies!!!
    I guess my point is that it is not worth getting dogmatic and although I don't have to rely on food I grow to survive, I still want to see returns from my efforts. Sometimes though, it just is not possible to have what we want (and I am thinking that growing peaches in the UK is really not worth the bother of covering them with polythene, hand pollinating and continual sprays. Better get going with blueberries then (I will grow them next to the water butts with a seephose).

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

What about growing Reine Claude de Bavay Plums or Mirabelles?

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

OP...Im into organic growing as well. My entire backyard is organic(or becoming organic) BUT I will not hesitate to whip out the Copper spray, Daconil, Captan(when all else fails) or Trizicide and Sevin, ETC... I have had good results with Organocide for my Citrus but thats besides the point.

The fact is is that many diseases cannot be cured by any other means than spraying. You dont need to spray much but you do need to spray at the proper time of year to prevent problems. Most spraying for disease needs to be done during swollen bud and petal fall. So basically early/mid Spring and sometimes Fall. Pest's are an ongoing thing so its a spray as needed. If you have only a small orchard or a few backyard trees, spraying can be contained to a minimum with a little know how and proper timing. Trust me you wont regret it and your problems will decrease immensely!!

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi Campanula - I gave up on my nectarine a long time ago. Too much hassle with PLC. But I grow gooseberries, black and redcurrants and raspberries on the allotment without any sprays so it is possible. This year they are all excellent - no American Gooseberry Mildew at all and no sawfly which was very bad one year. And I patrol all winter nipping off the big buds on the black currants. Seems to work. The raspberries never seem to get anything. Have you tried a greengage? I have one which has never suffered from any bugs or diseases at all whereas I notice a Victoria nearby is full of aphids. Total luck since I don't do anything to it except eat the totally yummy fruit. I am in the damp SW maybe these things are worse in East Anglia?

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm