Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear tree dying?

Posted by Domica none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 12:19

I've recently just noticed this, but I think my pear tree is dying.

I've attached a picture of it.
The tree is 4 years old and this is its second year to have pears on it.

There was a terrible "flood"-ish where there was maybe 10cm of water (not that much), but the wind was really strong so we had to stick 3 poles next to the pear and attach them to it so the wind doesnt rip it out.

I don't want this tree to die so soon so I'm asking you, what to do? Is it even dying? I'm noticing the leaves going yellow-ish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear tree dying?

10 cm/4 inches of water is a lot for a fruit tree. My question is how long your tree was flooded? A few hours or a few days? Also, after the flood, how long the soil continued to be wet?

Usually pear is more tolerant to excessive water than cherry or plum. However, if your tree was flooded and sat in wet soil for several days, the chance of it dying is high.

Trees in the property behind the wall look like peaches and they appear to do well. Were they flooded, too?

o

The tree is fine and I wish mine were in so good a shape.

o

The pear tree was in water for like 2 days.

Well, we also have 2 cherry's and 2 plums, neither of them are dying or showing any signs of dying.

Yes, that behind is another fruit garden and those are peaches. They were flooded, but with around only 5cm of water.
We also have a peach that was flooded and its fine.

We have a lot of fruit trees that were all flooded the same and only the pear seems to be dying,

o

I don't think the water has anything to do with it. The tree is obviously under stress and it might be caused by having to carry so much fruit. Your pears look ready to harvest, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it recover after the fruit is gone. I'm assuming that you haven't deprived the tree of water because of the brief flood.

o

I didn't know what to do, so I picked all the pears off the tree. They're much smaller than last year, but after I ate one and they tasted like a normal ripe pear.

I'm hoping now the pear tree doesn't die

o

I don't think the flood caused the problem, either, after hearing that other fruit trees have done well in the same situation.

This pear is under stress. I don't know why. You'll have to wait and see. Hope it will recover fully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here