Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watermelon flowers question

Posted by charleslou23 09 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:21

i noticed my young or starter sugar baby watermelon plant is only popping out male flowers but no female flowers, do they come later in the summer or something??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watermelon flowers question

The first flowers are always male. After a week or two the females start. On most varieties the males outnumber the female about 10:1 all the remainder of the bloom period. Melons bloom as long as the vines continue to grow.

Hand pollination is best done right after the flowers open which is soon after sunrise. Mine get some early morning shade so it's about an hour after sunrise that I hand pollinate. Later in the day or with windy dry weather the pollen dries up and it is impossible to pollinate.

o

well my sugar baby finally got a couple of small melon, both about golf ball size. But i noticed when i gently touch/squeeze them, they feel a bit soft, not rock hard like a mature melon feels, that normal?
I water them every couple of days with temp mainly in the upper 80's to lower 90's...

o

Could be it will abort.

o

just noticed after i gave a good amount of water, the fruit hardened up a bit.... but i take it this is something most folks dont come across since nobody else chimed in.

o

Well....the small melons, if they take, shouldn't be soft and they should grow very rapidly. You usually know very quickly if you have a viable fruit or not. Sometimes the plant will abort a few, then set a few, and abort the rest. The bottom line...you'll definitely know when you have a good melon. I usually help the pollination process with a small soft bristled paint brush. It works really well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here