Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

Blueberry nursery recommendation

m_taggart
10 years ago

I wonder if anyone here can recommend a nursery that has a good selection of southern highbush blueberries, particularly Emerald, Sweetcrisp, and Jewel.

A nursery in the southeast is preferred to keep shipping costs to a minimum. I'm in the triangle area of NC.

Comments (17)

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Dan Finch Blueberry nursery in NC - right in your backyard.
    Biggest selection I've run across - NHB, SHB, Rabbiteyes.
    Plants I've gotten from them have not always been as big or robust as some I've gotten from other sources.
    Selection at Simmons Berry Farm, in AR, is smaller - but they've provided the best plants at the best prices, that I've ever purchased.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

For those particular varieties, you might want to consider Island Grove in Florida. I placed an order with them a couple of weeks ago for several 1 gallon SHB varieties, but it hasn't arrived yet. When it does, I'll be happy to post a follow up...

Here is a link that might be useful: Island Grove Ag Products

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I would avoid Simmons berry farm......they are nothing but a problem. Ordered from them twice and twice it was a hassle with bad plants.

The closest license holder to produce Sweetcrisp to you is in Georgia, Cornelius farms. Not saying the person lucky suggested won't have them though but if they do they would be a middle man.

Island Grove is a good operation but the plants are very expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornelius farms

• Chris-7b-GA
    10 years ago

Cornelius Farms does have the Sweetcrisp, they also have a new variety called Titan developed by UGA that you should consider. Cornelius Farms is a true commercial blueberry operation, there prices are very good but they are not really set up for retail sales. It recently ordered from them, I kept getting transferred to a guy by the name of Nick who never answers his phone and does not have voice mail, if you can deal with the aggravation it is a good source for blueberries.

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I called Cornelius farms and left a message to get some prices for the previously mentioned varieties. I will update when I get those prices, if anyone else is interested.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Sure,I'd like to know.Thanks Brady

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

I've ordered from Finch twice. The first time everything was good, but the second time was by far the worst experience I've had ordering any kind of plants. Based on my experience, I would pay any price to avoid Finch.

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Who sells Santa Fe? Has anyone ever bought from Miller's in Florida?

This post was edited by rayrose on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 9:01

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Rayrose,

Only Fallcreek out west and Islandgrove in Florida are licensed to produce Sant Fe. I have bought from Millers and been there a few times...Jimmy Miller runs a very good operation.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I just received my order from Island Grove, and, hands down, the packaging is the WORST I've ever seen. The plants are damaged, and on top of everything else, my order is incomplete with no explanation as to why.

{{gwi:111459}}

This post was edited by shazaam on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 15:21

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Huh. b_r and I differ.
    I've never been disappointed in plants I've received from Simmons - have always gotten what I ordered, and they've always been big healthy plants 2-3 times larger than stuff I've gotten from Finch, Indiana Berry, and a couple of other sources - with much better root systems.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

If anyone does get pricing from Cornelius Farms, I'd be curious to know, as well.

This post was edited by shazaam on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 15:24

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried calling Nathan at Cornelius Farms again today, after leaving a message yesterday. He didn't pick up. I'll keep trying.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Lucky,

Here is why I am negative on Simmons......this was my negative report I made at that site we are not allowed to mention.

This is my second time ordering from Simmons. The first time was 2 years ago and ordered 10 bare root Kiowa blackberry plants. I had ordered them well before the shipping season and because I am in Florida I was one of the first orders shipped out. When I received the plants I was very disappointed in the quality as the plants were small and worse 3 of 10 had no roots at all and they were very dry. I emailed the company my complaint and they responded quickly. I emailed them a picture of the plants and they apologized and blamed it on brand new diggers. They sent me out another ten plants for free and those were great.

Fast forward two years.....

I had a row of Ouachita and Natchez as well as the Kiowa and was disappointed in the flavor of the first two so decided to tear them out and replace them with 2 more 10 plant rows of Kiowa. I learned my lesson last time so this time waited to order so the diggers would be experienced. On January 8th I called Simmons and placed an order for 20 Kiowas. The plants arrived today in good shape and was happy with the size and condition. I would rank 4 of the plants as superb 10 as ok and 3 as so so. Now if you add that up you will get the problem...ordered 20 received 17. Ordered from the company twice and both times disappointed....no attention to detail. How hard is it to count to 20? There are other sellers online to buy from.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Shazzam,

Islandgrove is a quality operation but pricey. Look at those thick healthy plants.

Far as the packaging wow that is a complete joke. Apparently they are very inexperienced in shipping. Let us know what they say when you contact them.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Far as the packaging wow that is a complete joke.

No kidding. There isn't any packaging. There are actually FIVE gallon pots in the box, including a fig on the bottom that was bent sideways in order to fit. On top of that they tossed three sad looking liners (there should have been six) with no wrapping around them whatsoever. All of the potting mix fell off of two of them, leaving the roots completely exposed. The UPS driver bagged the box because it was dumping dirt everywhere in his truck, and there's still a 1/2" layer of potting soil in the bottom of the box. What a joke.

As for the quality of the plants, the Palmetto on top is by far the best looking of the bunch. The others are younger plants, and some of them look quite stressed and poorly cared for. Not to mention all of the snapped branches. Nonetheless, most of them will probably be fine. I'm just extremely pissed off about the packaging. There's no excuse for that kind of sloppiness, and that's coloring my reaction to the order as a whole. I'm waiting on a call back...someone's supposed to be "looking into" what happened. Supposedly, they've never had a problem like this before. Either that's a lie, or they've hired someone new with no experience, no training, and no oversight.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Well I agree they were shipped with no regard for what shape they would arrive in. I just received two figs today in 1 gallon pots from Reno NV and they arrived in perfect condition because the person that shipped them cared.