Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wine grape for the table

Posted by BriAnDaren Ottawa zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 12:30

I'm new to growing grapes and am looking for some opinions.

According to Wiki, wine grapes tend to be sweeter than table grapes but have less flavor. Is this true?

Other than 'less flavor', are there any other issues involved in using wine grapes for the table?

My grapes are protected inside a hoop house over winter and I have room for a few more grape vines. Any recommendations for a really sweet grape will be greatly appreciated.

Daren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wine grape for the table

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 12:53

Often wine grapes have tough, slip-skin and seeds that don't easily separate from the flesh.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 13:01

Canadice for a seedless and Swenson Red for seeded.

o

Thanks Murky & Fruitnut.

Hopefully I'll be able to find Canadice & Swenson Red locally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here