Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Shipova, about 12 years old, finally has a full crop.

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 12:32

Roughly 12 years old, maybe only 10ish, I lost track. It had fruit the first time 2 years ago, nothing last year due to the extreme freeze out. Has a full crop for a little tree, about 10-12 feet tall x 4-6 wide.

I was really impressed with the flavor in 2011 -- rich, buttery, very sweet, similar to a really good pear or even Asian pear, soft texture. Pretty small, about the size of an egg at best.

Looking forward to them later this summer.

So, I would recommend it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Shipova, about 12 years old, finally has a full crop.

Make sure to keep us posted. I've had mine 5 years. I was planning to replace it with Fondante des Moulins-Lille, but if it's worth it I'll try to squeeze them both in somehow. Do you have any data on storage qualities of Shipova?

o

Glad to hear it! I have one tree that's three years old and another that's four but was girdled by a weedwhacker and is now a bush not a tree. I can't wait to taste my first fruits! I'm contemplating espaliering the tree that was girdled since that might encourage it to fruit at a younger age.

o

I can't see them storing at all, maybe 2-3 weeks if picked green like a pear -- well, ok, they basically are a pear, but a summer pear, not a winter, storage pear like Bosc or Winter Nellis or Olympic Giant. I let my few fruits - I had about 6 or 8 but the critters got all but 2 or 3, ripen fully on the tree until soft and golden in color. I would say they would store about like a Bartlett, which in my experience isn't very long.

o

That's really cool. What is it grafted onto?

o

Mine is grafted onto mountain ash. I got it from One Green World.

o

Congrats! There is nothing quite like finally getting that reward after waiting so many years for good fruit. You have a lot of patience to grow that one.

o

I wonder how it'd do on a OHF series stock. There's a reason it's on Mt. Ash, compatibility?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here