Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice regarding Raspberry Bushes

Posted by rollna01 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 12:34

I am looking to plant some raspberries this year and need a little advice on the variety that would best fit my needs.

I have a fairly large landscaping bed in the back of my house that currently contains a few spirea and about 15 daylilies. I am looking to replace or add to these plants with raspberry bushes.

Behind my house, there is an empty lot and then a fairly high-traffic street. Since the landscaping is visible from the street, I am looking for a raspberry bush that will be "attractive" in a landscaping setting.

I have been told that Latham Red and Heritage Red would be alright, however, I don't believe Heritage are recommended in Zone 4.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and have a nice day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice regarding Raspberry Bushes

this is for zone reference only
http://www.wallace-woodstock.com/raspberries.htm

o

Heritage can do OK in zone 4. I'm 150 miles north of the Twin Cities and grow them. I prefer my Boyne though. Excellent flavor, very cold hardy.Good producer.

o

Currants and blueberries form bushes. Raspberries form canes and will not be as attractive, especially in winter. For raspberries as a landscape plant, try planting a double row, closely spaced, and keep all the canes pruned to the same height once growth has slowed in late summer.

o

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't seem to find any good images online of the plants themselves. Do you have any recommendations for plants that grow and stay more vertical than the variety that sprawl out? I didn't ever know the variety, but I had a few raspberries at my last house that grew like this. They didn't really sprawl out and invade the nearby bushes so they looked fairly good.

Thanks again for all the help!

o

The only raspberry plants I think look good as landscape plants are black raspberries. I had planted red, purple, yellow raspberries on my fence in the back yard, then ran out of room, so I planted my 3 small black raspberry plants along the left side of my home.

They quikly grew larger, and filled in over the next year, and since they grow more like blackberries than raspberries, they grow out of the same central spot, with lots of canes from that one central area. I had 3 bunches of them growing, and they start out the 1st year as powdery blue-green colored canes, then in fall, they change color to a powdery burgundy color, and stay that way til they fruit the next season. But every season, new 1st year canes come up which are powder blue-green colored.

I thought they looked good there is not allowed to grow too long. They are sweeter than other raspberries too, and the Cumberland variety I grew was extremely productive!

o

Agree that black raspberries (black-caps) can be more attractive as a landscape plant. Widely-spaced plantings can form fountains of blue-green canes (arching habit). Downside is thorns and an acquired taste (of the fruit, for people in general).

The only way you can guarantee vertical raspberries is to include a minimal trellising system, or keep them pruned between waist and shoulder high (will reduce fruit production).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here