Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree leaves turning brown and crunchy

Posted by ryanellsworth UT (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:36

I planted a honeycrisp apple tree a little over a month ago. Not knowing what I was doing, I dug out the clay soil and replaced most of it with compost for planting. The tree was good for a few weeks but the past couple weeks the leaves have been turning brown and crispy. I have been watering about twice a week. Is it fertilizer burn? The nectarine tree I planted next to it seems fine although hasn't seemed to grow at all. Appreciate any advice from you guys.

Heres the pics:
http://imgur.com/a/bJf6t

Here is a link that might be useful: http://imgur.com/a/bJf6t

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree leaves turning brown and crunchy

Dying of thirst.

o

Could it be that simple? According to the research I did, it should be a "deep watering" twice a week, less if it's cool/rainy. How much should I do?

o

Looks like you might not have pruned the tree enough if you pruned it at all at planting time. When trees are transplanted they lose like 90% of the original roots from the nursery, so the tree needs to be cut back to 3-4 feet in height and the branches all cut way back near the trunk. This will restore balance between the roots and the rest of the tree. Otherwise the root system just isn't good enough to support the size of the tree you have there. So it makes sense that if the root system is small, the tree isn't getting enough water or nutrients to keep it happy. I would basically chop the tree in half and it will do much better. Seriously.

o

If the clay was heavy, you basically created a bucket in it by planting the tree in mulch; my guess is your roots are dying of rot. If so, there's not much you can do at this point, and after it is completely dead you can dig it up and do a post-mortem and see if the roots are all there and just dry (underwatering) or rotted and stinky (drowned).

o

Applenut's right

o

The tips look OK; this points to sunburn - new leaves are used to the sun they are in now since they were "born" into it whereas the leaves from the nursery were adapted to the nursery sun level.

Or it could be one of the other issues. In any case just leave it alone at this point and hope it makes it. Put your finger 1/2" into the soil and water if dry there. If its not dry don't water until it is.

Scott

o

Well crap. The one thing that might help is the clay is a good 8-12" under the root ball, I dug it out pretty deep. just now dug down with a trowel and theres no pools of water or anything, but the compost is pretty moist. So I guess I will stop watering until I dig again and its dry. And hope I didn't kill the little guy :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here