Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bareroot strawberries not coming up

Posted by dogwood_star 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:41

How long should it take for bare root strawberries to come up? I am not having much lock with them. Planted 40 the beginning of March and only 3 came up, 2 are doing well. I not so much. I figured would not hurt to try, so I tried 30 more last Sunday. Not seeing anything yet. I got the plants at TSC. Was it too late to try again this year? I checked and double checked the depth I planted them at, they are in raised beds in well rotten manure compost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bareroot strawberries not coming up

I'd say the ones that haven't come up since March are toast. The others might still come up assuming they weren't dried up when you got them.

The good news is that your three plants can easily become 30 plants by the end of the year. Strawberry plants are very prolific.

o

When you say "coming up" this sets off an alarm. Bareroot strawberries are already supposed to be "up" in the sense that the crown shouldn't be buried. Could that be the problem, they were planted too deep?

o

By "coming up" I meant 'leafing out." Sorry for the confusion. You should definitely seem some growth on the crown of the plant by now.

o

Drewbym, you are correct. Sorry for the misspeak. I do mean leafing out. Just use to seed talk lol. Is it safe to move the 3 that leafed out? This way I can reuse the bed. I have been pinching off the blooms when they come up.

o

Good to know they will spread.... I am getting a bit put off of strawberry plants! Would I do better ordering from somewhere like Nourse rather thank Home Depot and TCS?

o

Yes

o

There is a real bias against big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes around here. I personally haven't had problems with the plants I've bought there. Just choose wisely.

That being said, your three strawberry plants will become 30 this year if you tend to them and let the runners root.

o

Thank you for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here