Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muscadine - Need ideas for semi-temporary training

Posted by m_taggart 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:45

I have three muscadines that I am growing from seed. In the next week or so I will pot them up to 20 gal smart pots and grow them in my driveway until them begin to produce fruit. I don't want to create a permanent structure for them until I am certain I like the flavor.

Does anyone have advice for how I can create a temporary trellis for training these three plants? I'd prefer something that I don't have to worry about blowing over. I've considered the umbrella method mentioned in other threads, but at 8 ft tall it seems the pots won't be heavy enough to support the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muscadine - Need ideas for semi-temporary training

You can put a post next to or through the pot and into the ground to support the vine. I have an "Ison" umbrella fashion in a 25 gallon pot.

Note that with seedlings you may well get female and male vines, and if you save just the female(s) you will get no fruit.

o

Gonebananas, I'm curious what the umbrella method looks like. You wouldn't have a picture, would you? I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

I think this will likely be my best option, but I wonder can I prune it back and retrain it to a trellis if I decide to move it into the ground? Also, does yours ever blow over in the wind? I planted one in gritty mix and the other in 5:1:1. I'm not sure if the 5:1:1 will be heavy enough.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I do get at least 1 female. I already have an Ison's planted in the back yard to serve as a pollinator. These seeds may have come from a Supreme (not 100% sure), so they should flower at the same time.

o

Build a permanent trellis and if you dont like those grapes, dig them up and plant a different variety, unless you dont like grapes at all, then throw them out now and try to grow a different fruit...

o

Derek, a permanent trellis for 3 grapes isn't practical for me at the time due to cost and space. I only have space to grow the best of the 3 seedlings and don't want to invest in the infrastructure to grow 3 of them.

o

I don't have a photo, sorry.

The umbrella style looks a mess with muscadines because they are so strong growing, even in a pot. I have to trim the growing canes to keep them off the ground even after dormant trimming back to the top.

If you start the umbrella at the height you eventually want or slightly lower (but height above the pot soil, not the ground) you will have no trouble starting new or selected laterals when you plant to the trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here