Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon help

Posted by brownmola SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 12:47

Hi guys, I have an 8 foot Giant Fuyu persimmon that has been in ground for about 2.5 years. This was the first spring that it produced flowers and about 8 fruit. All 8 of the fruit have now fallen off, each a little smaller than a golf ball. The leaf edges are also a lighter green/more yellow than the inner part of the leaves. It gets watered 2 times a week and 3 times a week during the summer. Too much fertilizer? Too much sun? Am I missing some type of nutrient? I can post pictures of the leaves if that helps.

I also have a Satsuma and a Beauty plum planted in the same strip of dirt. The Satsuma flowered heavily but needed cross pollination from the Beauty plum which did not flower at all so no plums either. Coincidence?

I'd like to not repeat any mistakes that I may have made to contribute to the fruit fall off for next year.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon help

Too much fertilizer will cause fruit drop with persimmons. Another factor is the age of the tree. Young persimmon will drop fruits and normally takes about 8 to 10 yrs for a full productions. Also persimmon has very deep tap root so you do not have to water it three times a week.

Tony

o

Based on what people write here, it's unusual for a persimmon to produce fruit the first time it flowers. They usually all fall off that first year.

o

I have 3 persimmon trees that are 6 years old if you wait just a little longer you won't know what to do with all the fruit.My trees go through 2 drop periods and still have two much fruit. patients

o

Awesome advice. Thanks guys!

o

I have a fuyu persimmon tree I bought about a year and a half ago, it was about 5 feet tall. When I bought it, it had developing buds, about 30 of them, and they all fell off (the tree was in a 5 gallon pot at that time). I planted it in the ground and last year there were NO buds at all, and the tree hasn't grown at all either. This year, the tree has not grown either, there's some nice leaves on there, but no buds either. What's wrong?

I was at someone's house, and they had a 2 year old tree that was 4 foot tall with 20 developing fruit on it... I think we're doing something wrong...or something is not optimal...

o
RE: Persimmon dropping

I have 2 American persimmon trees that are about 10 year old and 8 year old respectively. Both are quite big and tall with abundant branches and twigs. Yet for the past 5 or so years, the spring tiny fruits will all drop within a week of blossom! I have not really watered them much except the natural rainfall (at least for one of them, the other is in a sprinkler watered zone). Any idea what is wrong other than "just wait and it will give you fruits one day"? And anything else I can check and do at this moment? I live in MA the coldness should not have played a role in it since the trees have survived, nor would cross pollination a factor since I have two trees and was told Am persimmons do not need cross pollinate... correct me if I am wrong.

o

vzeegui, based on what I think I know pollination may indeed be an issue for you. I've read in the Starks Bros catalog that they recommend two trees for cross pollination, but I believe that's nonsense. I know there are male and female persimmon trees. Other catalogs even sell males for pollination purposes. I've heard of 'Meader' persimmons producing seedless fruit without a pollinator, and I've heard of 'Szuki' (sp?) persimmons sometimes producing both male and female flowers on the same tree, but as a rule I believe multiple female trees would still leave you without pollination/fruit.

o

Whether American persimmons require pollination in order to mature fruit is a debatable issue - surely, some varieties under certain conditions do not, while most have a better fruit set with pollination. Given your circumstances, I would advise adding a male tree. Not any male will do - it would be best to have one of the same ploidy (number of sets of chromosomes.) If you post some photos of your trees and in particular the leaves, we may be able to recommend a nursery that sells the tree you need. Now there are other issues besides pollination that may be affecting your fruit production. Young persimmon trees do not bear well when not watered adequately or when they are not getting enough sun. There is also the issue of late freezes which will not kill the tree but can destroy the crop. The late bloom time of persimmons is protective in this regard, but the fruit is more sensitive than most to freezing temps.

o

You have to make sure that the rootstock your tree comes with is the same as the other tree's.I f you buy tree's from different suppliers they might not use the same rootstock. For instant, if i buy a tree from Ed.Lands. and a tree from wilson they use different rootstock and therefor coming out dormancy at different times, it happen to me and therefor i use rootstock from plants that grow in my area. Some tree's are bearing heavy one year and very light the next(sayo for one).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here