Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Very successful year for sweet cherries

franktank232
11 years ago

I've been throwing around the idea of chopping the sweet cherries and making room for other fruits. After this year, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I have had an excellent crop of Lapins and Kristin sweet cherries. Its been dry enough where cracking has yet to be seen. We did have some rain (over an inch), but all that did was make the cherries even bigger (they've been huge). The birds (Robins) have been horrific. I have multiple layers of netting and they still try to get in. Several have trapped themselves in it and they still come back. I used one coating of Surround and have had maybe 3 or 4 cherries with PC larvae. The Lapins are done and the Kristin are just ripening up.... I guess they are a fruit that will vary year by year, but maybe I'll just need to have enough variety to spread out the ripening season.

My Kristin...there is a row of Kristin, Lapins and Black Gold...I will need to hack them back at some point. They are all on Gisela 5. I also have a Stella in a container that just was cut back 50%.

{{gwi:111618}}

Comments (15)

• Tony
    11 years ago

Frank,

Nice photo, look like you wrapped it up pretty well with the net. The birds will have to search food else where.

Tony

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Happy with White Gold this year, too.

I'm always a bit boggled by the same people who plot various lethal schemes to kill rodents, trying to preserve the fruit-eating birds who get caught in flagrante. I'm almost wishing one of the cats would take up bird hunting, at least if it could be confined to robins.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really want to kill all of the robins. An old lady I use to work with hated them (along with sparrows). Both I believe are not native to the US (England?). All I know is they LOVE cherries. They are constantly coming at the tree from various angles, trying to get my precious babies.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Good for you. It boggles my mind, though, to think that they're ripe by June 1st. That won't happen again in 100 years, well, maybe it will, perhaps all of this weather weirdness is the "new normal". March is the new May, that sort of thing.

Freezes, alas, are the same old freezes.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

English robins are a completely different bird with the same name. American robins are Turdus americanus - a very apt name!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Frank that's hysterical looking. Okay, probably you're not laughing, but poor tree!! Honestly. You and the robins and it's me and the bloody damned ground squirrels and rats. 1/2 my stone fruits are eaten away. I am putting down pounds of poison bait, now. Wish netting would protect my trees, sigh. Glad you have a stellar cherry year. My two lone cherries were delicious. Hoping for more next year.

Patty S.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My 2 year old daughter eats them pit and all. Doesn't seem to bother her.

• northernmn
    11 years ago

Way to go Frank...

Sweet cherries in Wisconsin is no cake walk. I wouldn't stand a chance with them in northern MN. I do have 8 sour cherry trees and bushes though.

You have paid lot of dues to get those cherries. Glad you are fighting the robins tooth and nail for your hard won prize !

• windfall_rob
    11 years ago

Always glad to hear things working for folks, especially when I know it's been hard won...helps keep jealousy at bay. The Kids get SUCH a kick from fruit off the property don't they. Enjoy.

I am convinced resident hawks(preferably with hungry chicks) are the solution to bird pressure, but I don't know how you can really get them other than luck. Netting would be the only other dependable choice.
    Although the blueberry farm down the road claims good success with 3 fold attack: mylar tape, recorded bird alarm calls, and the periodic propane cannon shots....it makes for a rather jarring pick your own experience, and wouldn't go over real well with close neighbors I suspect.

• glib
    11 years ago

Frank, in another thread you stated that these dwarf cherries fruit regularly around now. I can see from the pic that it is quite a small tree. Do you really get them in early June year after year?

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Congrats for you hard earned cherries! You must have native American Robins,..don't you?

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Did you read the article on this years cherry crop in Michigan in the Wall Street Journal? Not a good year. Lucky you!

• franktank232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glib-

This year is running a good 2 weeks early, so my guess (I'd have to look at old pictures for dates from previous) is that this year is very early for sweets. Here is a Kristin. Most are this size.

{{gwi:111619}}

• ltilton
    11 years ago

That's an apple!

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Really, WOW!

I just finished my White Golds, they were excellent and had zero cracking. Cherries in general are looking up for me this year as well, having finally started to spray them for moths and curculio I am getting a very nice crop.

Scott