Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry questions

Posted by donnamarienj Zone 6b NENJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 12:49

I received a raspberry plant that someone didn’t want any more. It was in a very small planter (think child’s sand pail). The person knew nothing about the plant. I potted it up into a container about three sizes larger, and waited. It is growing extremely quickly and has numerous flowers. At this point I see no fruit (it has only been two months). Without knowing the name or age of this plant, how will I know when to expect fruit? Can I expect fruit this season or do I have to wait several years? BTW, this is a thornless variety and I have to wonder why this person was giving the plant away. Maybe it just never produced fruit. Either way, how long should I give the plant before making a decision as to whether I want to keep it? Thanks in advance. Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry questions

If it's a thornless plant and it has flowers on the primocanes (stalks that came up from the dirt this growing season), it's probably a Joan J raspberry.

If it's a Joan J, you'll get fruit this fall on this year's growth, and then in the spring again on the same canes. It'll repeat the process next year by sending up new primocanes that will fruit next year in the fall and then the following spring after that.

o
RE: Raspberry questions

Thank you for the name. I have no idea what a primocane looks like and I'll have to watch it carefully to see if I can spot one. However, looking up the name on google, I read that Joan J is not the best raspberry and is best known for its shipping attributes. I'll give it until next year to see if it is worth keeping. There must be a reason the other person didn't want the plant. I had planned to put it in a barrel in 2014, but I might just hold off on that. It is sad, because it is growing extremely well and looks very pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here