Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning New Peach Tree

Posted by Tweety101 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 12:49

Hello,

I just bought and planted a new peach tree. My question is should I prune it? In the books I've read they say to cut the central leader to 30" and to leave 3-4 good branches. However, I'm wondering if this isn't the right time of year to prune peach trees. Also, should the peach tree not have any leaves when I prune it? Because all the pictures I have seen of peach trees being pruned are pictures of tress without any leaves, but mine is full of leaves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning New Peach Tree

I don't know if this matters but maybe I should also mention that it is a dwarf

o

Olpea, a veteran peach grower started a great thread on this topic you may find helpful. I am in the process now of picking out the 3 or 4 scaffold limbs on my new peach trees and removing the rest. Others wait until the tree is older to do this scaffold selection pruning but it has worked for me to do it in the 1st year of growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach pruning tread

o

Thanks for directing me to the link. I will definitely check it out.

o

Whether you have issues with deer, and or coons and or squirrels may also influence the most practical shape a great deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here