Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer pruning Golden Russet

Posted by michael357 5b, KS (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 12:50

Being a tip bearer, I'm uncertain how to approach summer pruning this tree. The tree produces some on 2nd year wood but mostly on the apical buds of 1 yo wood and several buds down from the apical bud of those shoots. Most all of the 1 yo shoots are very thin, it's hard to imagine them supporting the load of a fruit here in the KS wind storms. Can't blame low light on the thin shoots, there's plenty of light.

In my next life, I'll plant 4 trees of each 3 varieties instead of 8 trees of all different varieties in order to keep the learning curve lower and allow for trying different techniques on different trees of the same variety to learn from. Maybe I'd end up with 3 great trees instead of what I have.

think I might put them all on Bud9 too. The one I have is a breeze to manage and precocious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer pruning Golden Russet

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 13:21

michael:

My apples on M9 and M26 basically go totally unpruned. Height is about 8ft after 9 years. The shoots are really thick but that doesn't hurt a thing with our high light and low humidity. Yes, in good years I have to thin a lot. But this year with 24F May 3 the only fruit is on the very bottom of the trees where the canopy afforded some protection. Next year I'll have a big thinning job unless it freezes again. So my advice is don't prune unless you need to.

o
RE: Summer pruning Golden Russet

Golden Russet on a free standing rootstock is a crazy growing tree that after quite a few years I'm starting to get a decent handle on. Can't claim to be a quick study on this one.

I think you may be dwelling too much on its tip bearing aspect. As long as the scaffolds are not oversized diameter-wise and as long as the tree is reasonably open it will teach you how to prune it if you don't stub cut wood.

When I prune apples I really don't think much about whether they are tip-bearers. Once they begin to bear it is easy to see how and where they do and you can make adjustments then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here