Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting sweet cherries to Yoshino?

Posted by failjolesfail 6B-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 12:51

I moved to DC years ago, and every summer get reminded how silly this town is.

We celebrate our ornamental cherries, promote private ownership of them, and then trot off to Whole Foods and buy cherries shipped in from the west coast. For 3 years in a row, I've tried to find a place to pick sweet cherries myself, and there's nowhere within an hour of me! Not worth the extra gas.

So. Sizing up the teeny tiny fruit on my Yoshinos (5 years old or so), I'm thinking I should be able to grow some Bing or Lambert or Royal Anns. I have to crop them back anyway, they're starting to take over the back yard (was going to wait until winter when they're dormant).

Is this idea cracked? I was thinking of starting with chip bud or T bud, see how they do...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting sweet cherries to Yoshino?

I can't get sweet cherries to graft to sweet cherries.

o
RE: Grafting sweet cherries to Yoshino?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yoshinos are an ornamental that's very popular around here, as they are the same variety as the original gift trees from Japan that ring the Tidal Basin.

I understand that they are more closely related to plums, but (being a snotty American kid that I am) I don't want plums. I want cherries!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here