Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of help diagnosing young blackberries

Posted by Saralectric none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 12:57

I am new to gardening, but am super excited to have some real veggies growing and thriving right now!
I live in a townhouse, and since I rent, I wanted to buy berries that I could keep in pots and take with me when I buy a home.

I ordered 2 young blackberries online. The plants were tiny, only about 4 inches tall or so. I have transplanted them into pots and they seem to have been growing for the past few weeks. However...

Each plant looks unhealthy. I have them in full sun, and I have been keeping the soil watered. But pretty much every leaf on each plant looks bad. Some are red, some are curled, some are speckled, and some are brown around the edges. I'm wondering if there's something I can do to save them, or if I just bought bad plants.

I can't find any description on the internet of blackberry plants with this type of problem, and I can't even find any images of leaves that look similar.

Please offer any information or opinions you have!! I really want to have a head start on some good berry plants for our future home.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of help diagnosing young blackberries

Couldn't figure out how to post 2 photos. Here's the second plant.

Thanks!

o
RE: In need of help diagnosing young blackberries

Water less if water every day that's to much for blackberries water every 3 days at most. In ground when dry water once a week root like some dry time before next watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here