Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree Issue After Thinning - Fire blight?

Posted by rossn 5/Denver (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 13:07

This is a third year honeycrisp apple tree in the Denver area. It produced a number of fruit this year, and after some research, I thinned the tree and did some experimental bagging (both paper and plastic).

A few weeks later, I started to notice some areas of the tree that had stubs or limbs that were dying... often surrounding the area where the fruit were thinned.

Is this fire blight or something else? I was under the impression honeycrisp was moderately resistant towards fire blight, so I'm surprised it affected so many areas of the tree? If it is fire blight, how do I treat/remove it? It will be a bummer if I have to remove some of the main scaffolding branches!

Thanks!
Avery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree Issue After Thinning - Fire blight?

additional photo

o

additional photo

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:02

I would suspect that is FB. Pruning it out is about all you can do at this point. But if it were mine I'd dissect some of those spurs/branches and see if it shows up as cambium damage.

I could be wrong and hope so. Sorry about your trials and tribulations.

o

Did you thin with little clippers or pruners? It is fireblight, and you may have spread it with contaminated pruners. Cut these branches back 6-8" into the good wood, disinfecting your pruners with a small butane torch or lighter. Keep any eye on the stubs for re-infection.

o

Fruitnut - Thanks. Any pointers on what I'm looking for with cambium damage? What does that type of damage indicate?

Applenut - I had been using my felco bypass pruners. What do you mean by little clippers, and are they less likely to spread fire blight? When using pruners, I did disinfect the pruners with lysol spray before doing the thinning. I didn't disinfect between each cut, as I had not seen evidence of fire blight. Is this a valid approach, or should I handle differently? Is the lysol spray as effective as a torch? Also... from the photos... some of the stubs that have fire blight are pretty short and lead to one of the future scaffolding branches (similarly, there is one near the top of the leader). The first photo is a good example of this. Do I need to remove these scaffolding branches (to 6-8" inside of the last fire blight)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here