Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Apricot Pruning

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 13:15

We have a 3 year old apricot that wants to take over.

I thought I was not supposed to prune it over the summer, but have been watching Dave Wilson Videos and see that I can prune it now, and probably should have the past couple of years.

Does anyone have a good link to a diagram of what and were it should have been pruned? I did try and follow one of the videos and the tree is really really growing now. It has set a few fruit, but it wants to be giant.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Apricot Pruning

It is actually recommended to prune apricots (and cherries) here in S. Calif. during the summer months due to the chances of developing Eutypa Dieback, a fungal infection of the stems of cherries and apricots that can occur during the rainy season, and for us, that's during the winter, during the normal time most folks prune their stone fruits - during dormancy. You can prune your other stone fruits, just better to wait on your apricots and cherries until after harvest, during our dry season. Here's a very nice link with a video that will help.

http://sacgardens.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-pruning-and-thinning.html

Also, DWN has some very, very nice videos on how to prune stone fruits on You Tube. You can get to their You Tube channel through their web site, and you can then subscribe to their channel and get email updates when they post new videos. Also, UC Davis has great info on how to manage stone fruits, so be sure to check out the link below. All info specifically directed at our growing climate here in S. Calif.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis: Home Orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here