Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray for canker on apricot

Posted by MrsG47 6-7 RI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 13:17

In two crotches of my apricot tree I have amber oozing sap. It is a very small amount but it is there. I have followed my spray schedule to a tee and just noticed yesterday the small ooze while spraying triaz. and captan. Looks like canker. Is there a spray to get rid of it and make the ooze stop. I'd hate to have to cut off a limb as it would leave my tree with a 'V' shaped trunk. Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray for canker on apricot

Not that I know of. Mine ooze too...i just let them be. For what I know the only thing you can use for canker is copper and even that has limited effect. I suppose you could prune it out?

o

Frank I wish I could prune out the two spots that are oozing on the apricot, but they are oozing from the 'collars' that are smack in the middle of the 'V's of both the two main branches from the trunk and one smaller branch has ooze out of its V. If I prune I might really create havoc with the tree as I will lose one small but strong branch. If I prune out the larger ooze I'll lose half the tree. Also I just sprayed yesterday. All the sprays dried for six hours before the rain started last night. I hope I don't have to 're-spray' tomorrow. I sprayed with Copper last Feb. Its always something isn't it?

o

I was given a free Blenheim apricot by a nursery because it had very serious lesions on the trunk, identified by them as brown rot. Copper took care of it.

o

Can I spray copper now? Many thanks all, Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here