Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycadoseed

I'm looking for a nursery who sells Mission Grapes

johnnycadoseed
14 years ago

I've looked in the internet, checked Lon Ronbough's site and can't find anything. I thought I might try to see if anyone here can point me in the right direction. I looking for the old historic California black "Mission Grape" vine ( Vitis Vinifera ). If you can know of a nursery that sells them, I would be very grateful. I would even take an outlet who sells cuttings. Thank you for your time, John

Comments (11)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Have you tried BayLaurelNursery.com. Our property has native grapes, but they are a weed of no value. The first commercial grape plantings in California, (not whatever the priests planted,) was planted from imported european cuttings. Al

• johnnycadoseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Al,
    Bay laurel was one of the first nurseries I checked. They don't have them. Thanks, John

• nhardy
    14 years ago

You can order it now like Greenwitch said. DVIT0831. is at the bottom of the catalog link. Here is the other page:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12254
    Most of the people on the fig forum order fig cuttings and have good luck rooting them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat'l Clonal Germplasm-Vitis (Wine grapes)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

Be sure and get your order in quickly. You will need a fed ex account because they will ship your order using that and you will pay shipping.

My order is in. It is first come first serve. I placed an order and received a nice response, then I ordered a couple more varieties a week later, and they responded that they have added that to my original order.

I ordered grape vines (not the mission fig variety you want), figs, and pomegranates all on the same order.

You won't receive your cuttings (they send 1-5 per varietal) until Feb or March of next year.

Good luck!
    Suzi

• stevehuffman
    13 years ago

Hi Johnny,
    If you haven't found the Mission grapes yet, I have some.
    I got my starts from a winery in the Sierra foothills, who got their starts from a very old coastal vineyard, who got their starts from an original Spanish Mission vineyard.
    I can make some plants for you from mine.
    Steve Huffman
    imstevehuffman@aol.com

• nolantew
    11 years ago

for u grape hunters, a few years ago i used to park my big rig on MILLIKIN bd just west of I-15 and just north of I-10 in ontario/rancho cuc ca.there used to b acres and acres of mourvedre, sarai, mission grapes that belonged to an old family winery on south MILLIKIN RD DOWN cs60. most of the property has been sold and the vinyards destroyed to make room for commercial warehouses. still, there are a few pockets of vinyards still there. OR, u could order from NOVAVINE for bulk wholesale, bakersfield nursery too.ALSO,harvest express.com has mourvedre and sarai but not mission.

• nolantew
    11 years ago

just a foot note on mission grapes: the texas growers call MISSION GRAPE-OLD BLACK SPANISH, which is available at several grape nurseries on web; GROW ORGANIC.COM HAS THEM.

• johnnycadoseed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nolantew, I know the old winery you mentioned. When we were kids, we used to drive down to that vinery from the Las Vegas, Nv area and buy gallons of their wine and have a "all Southern Nevada welcome party" out in the middle of nowhere in the dessert. Somehow, the cops would find us and everybody would scatter. I always made note of the "Millikin Road" because my last name is Millick. I never did aquire the mission grape vine that I was looking for. I got busy on something else and now, years have gone by. I think I'll start looking for them again with the info left by the other good people. Thanks for everything, John

• noel montano
    7 years ago

Hi guys, I am also looking for some mission vines that may be available at a nursery for I plan to plant a few hectares with that, although I am lucky to have a neighbour that has a very old vineyard with Mission grapes and Rosa del Peru. It is located in Tecate, Baja California, just on the Mexican side of the border with San Diego. We are making wine with them, Bichi wine, and our partner Louis Antoine Luyt makes wine with them in Chile. Look for Pipeno wine bottles. They are amazing!!

• Gil Campos
    7 years ago

I'm also looking for some Mission grapes my grandmother and her neighbors grew them from cuttings from the San Buenaventura mission I now own a home and a historic district of Oxnard and would like to plant some