Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maypop for fruit production in NM?

Posted by fabaceae_native z6 NM (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:25

I made a similar post on the SW Forum... I've read oodles of stuff on the Passiflora Forum about P.incarnata, and am certainly intrigued by it, especially for it's fruiting potential.

Unfortunately I've had no luck with the several small potted plants I've tried. Transplant failure and/or gopher problems is my suspicion. Interestingly, the related P.caerulea transplants without trouble, growing large and flowering well into the fall.

Has anyone had any luck with the former species in an arid/high elevation climate? Would I be best off trying to direct sow the seed instead of buying the tiny potted plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maypop for fruit production in NM?

Well, I can't tell you about the arid climate part. Maypop is fully hardy here under deep (6" or more) winter mulch. I've been growing it since the early 1990s, albeit with a break of a couple years when I lost mine to (surprise, surprise) voles. I've never had a ripe fruit, although once or twice came sort of close, beginning to color the arils and getting decent aroma, with the shell also beginning to turn slightly yellow.

I think they just need more heat than my climate provides. I guess in NM it might work, depending upon altitude, etc.

Don't pay big $$$ for a small start. They are really easy to germinate from seed, about like starting a morning glory or a sunflower. I have bought seed in the past from Sand Mountain Herbs in Alabama and from Johnny's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maypop seeds at Sand Mountain

o
RE: Maypop for fruit production in NM?

Thanks so much for the response. That's good to hear about the success of a thick mulch, and that the seeds germinate readily.

I don't know what the difference in Growing Degree Days is between here and where you are, but I'm optimistic about them being able to ripen. Even though cool nights here around 7,000 feet slow things down some summers, I'm still able to grow and ripen chiles, tomatoes, melons, watermelons, okra, cotton, without any trouble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here