Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_in_los_osos

my poor raspberries....

steve_in_los_osos
10 years ago

Last year it was the dreaded bugs with the sail-like chartreuse wings and their cottony larvae. So I cut everything down, sprayed the heck out of the plants, up-potted and waited.

Beautiful, lush new growth in the Spring was immediately attacked by spider mites. Grrr.......

So I got those pests on the run and the plants just exploded with wonderful growth. Then the holes started appearing:

{{gwi:112260}}

The "Anne" plants seem more affected than the "Heritage", but both have been savaged and even my boysenberries have shown a lot of damage. No damage on the blackberries.

I've seen green worms (darned cabbage moths somehow get into the netted enclosure and then can't get out) but the principal culprits seem to be these:

{{gwi:112261}}

I started dousing with BT was as soon as the holes began appearing because I've had lighter damage in the past and I wanted to stay ahead of it. But the BT seems to do no good.

Short of poisoning myself, how can I check this infestation (raspberry saw flies?) and perhaps head it off better in the future?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor