Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

Any sources of unusual fruiting plants in Denver?

fabaceae_native
10 years ago

Does anyone know of any nurseries in the greater Denver area that have anything other than the usual fruits?

I know it is a long shot, but I would love to pick up any of the following while I am there, if any place has them:
- seaberry
- jujube
- Am persimmon
- maypop
- goumi
- mulberry (fruiting variety)
- che fruit
- serviceberry (fruiting variety)
- pawpaw

Several of these are available from time to time here in little old Santa Fe, NM, so I am surprised that a big city like Denver would not have all or most of them...

Comments (4)

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Pawpaw are gaining popularity, dont seem hardy where i am by the northern great lakes.

Serviceberry/saskatoonberry are wicked plants. Fast growing, and super hardy. Dont know if there is a problem of them fruiting too early in early warm ups in spring. I think there is one or 2 native in CO

ive read P incarnata is grown up in ohio no problem. They can be somewhat invasive. A frind in NC was telling me shoots comming up 20 feet away. I think its hardy to zone 5 with some good placement and protection, maybe zone 4.

seaberry absolutely dislike hot temps. I dont know how far south they can be grown, or how high up.

What about coronus mas, or nanking cherry?

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

fabaceae_native,

I was really stumped by your post. I had never even heard of a pawpaw (except in Jungle Book, which of course is ridiculous b/c pawpaws would never grow where jungle animals are found).

I did a search of GW and found a post that has a lot of information about local nurseries, but alas, only the serviceberry is to be found from your list.

You should make a stop at Timberline if you are in the area. I'm headed there tomorrow to explore their fruiting, cold-hardy cactus. (http://coldhardycactus.com). His nursery is Timberline at http://www.timberlinegardens.com.

Your post really stumped me because it had never even occurred to me to look locally for the plants on your list.

Of your list I have or have had:
    - jujube
    - Am persimmon
    - goumi
    - mulberry
    - serviceberry
    - pawpaw

Here is a link that might be useful: Your favorite seed and plant sources

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Actually Milehigh - Pawpaw in North america has a variation that grows in florida, and the asimina triloba indeed grows into central florida (not tropical mind you, but well warmer then most of NA). there are also a few tropical species which are related to the pawpaw, and i also think some tropical countries call papaya, pawpaw..........

Also, if you go to that hardy cactus place, see if you find a yucca baccata, hardiest trunking yucca (so the lit says), and has an edible "banana" which the anizazzi ate regularly. (fab, id recommend this to you as well!)

• fabaceae_native
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canadian, thanks for your input on the viability of some of the plants on that list.

Actually, seaberry is apparently tolerant of some heat, since there are some huge bushes/trees here in Santa Fe that fruit well. We have cool nights through the summer, but 80's and 90's are the normal daytime temps.

Really the only plant I'm doubtful will do well here is Pawpaw. I already have most of the others and want more without having to wait for next spring to do the mail order thing.

Milehigh, thanks so much for the tip on Timberline. I remember you mentioned it in a post a while back but I had forgotten what it was called.

Oh yeah, Yucca baccata is a common wild plant where I live, but rarely has a trunk (the variant that grows in Southern California is sometimes trunked). I have tried the fruits and never was able to make them palatable.