Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Budding/Grafting

Posted by sonny44 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 13:36

I made a few successful grafts this spring on a flowering pear tree that I want to convert to fruit. Many of the new shoots are growing well.
I was wondering if I could now take buds or some of the the fresh shoots and T-bud them on to the trunk and or the larger branches of the tree.. Or are they just too young and fragile, or worse yet would they have no chance of surviving winter?
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Budding/Grafting

Yes...IF....they are thick enough. I'd be very careful around newly grafted shoots (snapping them off). Usually you cut off a section maybe 8 inches long (thickness of a pencil or around there) and remove the buds you need... Just remember those buds you place will stay dormant until next spring. Also remember you still have plenty of time...you can keep budding right through August..and probably early Sept where you are. They only take a few weeks to "take"...

o
RE: Question on Budding/Grafting

Sonny: You are investing your time in a worthwhile project that many have also done. Rather than whacking off the immature new shoots from your grafts in hopes of starting additional new grafts, I think that the better plan would be to acquire quality graftwood from another tree wherein the twigs have already become stiff/wooden on the inside and mature buds are well formed below the leaf stems. I would quickly clip them off, break off the leaves, wrap all but the bottom 2" in stretched Parafilm, and stand them up in a cup with an inch or so of water, where they would stay for a few hours hydrating while in cool shade. I happen to add a few drops of Superthrive in the water, but most do not. The rootstock tree would have been enjoying a l o n g water soaking the day before. If the rootstock tree had new leaves growing now, I would do either bark or cleft grafts. If no new leaves are growing, I would do the cleft grafts. To further protect the sticks from drying up, I also would cover them with a very loose enclosure of white, thin plastic grocery bag plastic for a Sun shield, keeping it unsealed at the bottom.......I am topworking a similar project pear tree for a neighbor this week, since the record-setting 107 degrees yesterday is being replaced with steady, "cool' 93 degrees for the next week. ....Don't let 'em run dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here