Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Kiwi Propagation

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 13:36

I recently promised an individual through the plant exchange forum to trade some anna hardy kiwi cuttings from my three vines that are now producing fruit. After reading about the difficulty of propogating hardwood kiwi cuttings, I decided to try to propagate them from soft cuttings taken this year. I first tried airlayering; all five attempts failed. I am now trying ground layering. I place a brick over the soil-covered branch to hold it down, but I believe that the brick heats up the souild and has killed the branch. I have three green cuttings that I planted in a pot that still have a shot, but I am not hopeful. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Kiwi Propagation

CB,

I found this article on Kiwi propagation. Hope it helps.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi Propagation

o

I stuck some dormant season prunings in the ground this winter not really thinking (or especially even wanting) that they would grow, but they leafed out a couple months ago and they're still alive now, so they must have rooted.

Regular (ground) layering is how I've propagated hardy kiwis when I've wanted to. If you're going to use a brick I wouldn't put it directly on top of the vine, but I'd dig a shallow trench, bury a middle section of the branch with the dirt I dug out, and then put the brick/weight on top of that to hold everything down. So far as I can remember I've had 100% success layering hardy kiwis like that, although I've mostly given the process a full growing season. It sure seems like the easiest way to propagate a few extra vines.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 23:35

Last June, I had success in rooting cuttings. About half took. I used my usual potting mix (a combination of leaf compost, pine bark, and perlite) and kept them moist and out of direct sun for several weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here