Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomcot apricot dead or no?

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:37

2 Tomcots (both on Lovell i believe) that are maybe 4 or 5 years old...one already got the chainsaw and the other might get it today. The issue is very little bloom, almost no new leaves this spring and almost no growth. What leaves it (they) do (did) have are very small and curled...some have yellowed and fallen off. There is a Hunza (Citation) right next to it that is totally leafed out/large fruit...and another Puget Gold that is the same (loaded with fruit).

Last summer was very hot and very dry...winter had a lot of snow/not that cold... this spring has been cold/wet and cloudy...

Having said that, why are the other cots right next to it just fine...?

Any chance it pulls through or is it a goner? I have no issue cutting it down (lots of other trees), but would rather get going on it now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomcot apricot dead or no?

Could it be planted in a bad spot? I have a young plum that I'll move if it survives the year. Bad drainage in a floody season. But if your trees are 4-5 years old, it's probably too late to move them.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:44

Sounds like a goner to me. Harvestman says they die for no apparent reason for him. They are long lived in dry climates, even cold and dry, but apparently not in humid. I believe they evolved in dry Asian climates. Cold doesn't seem to be the issue as much as humid.

o

My hunch is that it's toast, just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this happening.

Its a big tree, so no moving. It has to be root issues.

I'm on almost pure sand here...right next to the Mississippi River (If i dig down a few feet, its more or less beach sand). Drainage has never been a problem.

Maybe a combination of extreme heat, drought, long winter, deep frost and very wet/cloudy spring :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here