Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any chance this persimmon tree could still leaf out?

Posted by RobThomas 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 13:47

I purchased a Yates and Morris Burton from Nolin River, and planted them in either February or March. Neither one showed any sign of leafing out. Finally, the Yates began to leaf out about 3 weeks ago. No change in the Morris Burton, though. It still shows green under the bark. However, my hope is fading that it will survive. I've never had a tree take this long to leaf out.

Any thoughts on the chances this tree could still survive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any chance this persimmon tree could still leaf out?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 16:15

As long as it shows green hang in there. They are naturally late to leaf out. It's too late to plant another so you might as well give it every chance.

o

Thanks, fruitnut. Yeah, I'm going to give it until it is definitely dead. I've just never seen anything take this long to break dormancy. I certainly don't want to go thru the trouble of replacing it and staring over next year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

o

I have 2 japanese persimmon seedlings in containers. I had given both up for dead twigs a long time ago, but they now have healthy leaves.

My rule of thumb now with dead-looking trees is leave them for a year and see what happens.

o

It's not unusual for these bare root persimmons to not leaf out until August, and I've heard of cases where they didn't leaf out until the following spring. This is caused by transplantation shock from improper care of the roots. So perhaps all is not lost, but it does not speak well of the nursery that sent the trees to you. It may be wise to contact them now about the problem in case they later need to be replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here