Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds not breaking on certain sections

Posted by howboutbake none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 13:53

Hi all,

Here are a couple pics of my newly planted espalier. The bottom two branches on the left hand side seem to have sections with buds that aren't breaking.

Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do?

If you're wondering why the leaves are still so small, I live on Cape Breton Island where spring never seems to come :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds not breaking on certain sections

Oops second pic didn't post

o

No ideas? :(

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 15:49

Down here that bare wood is from lack of chilling. Maybe yours is from excessive chilling, just kidding.

I'm no espalier expert. But maybe you need to prune back more to get those lower buds to break. It's probably too late now. But in the dormant season if you had shortened those branches by half the would be less bare wood. Then you do the same each year to force fuller budding.

o

Thanks a ton!

It could be from lack of chilling because I just bought it this spring, and it could have come from California for all I know.

I will definitely prune it next winter!

o

I would guess lack of vigor from the transplanting. I notice the trees suffering from vigor issues tend to leave more of those dormant buds. They also tend to be left at the bases of shoots where yours are.

I also don't know enough about espalier to know how to fix it. My guess is when the tree is full sized the gap will not be noticeable since it will fill in.

Scott

o

That could be too. Hopefully that will correct itself in time. I planted with some manure and bonemeal so it is well fed for the time being!

I wonder if spraying with seaweed emulsion would help with vigour?

Also, I vaguely remember something about notching above or below a bud to force something? Or is that something that isn't applicable in this situation?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here