Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Grapes

Posted by C-BUSOH 6 Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 14:02

I was thinking of growing grapes but i wanted to know if they are easy to grow or are they pretty hard to grow, also what is some basic information that i should know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Grapes

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:40

They are hard to grow in your climate. But it varies. Things like Concord are pretty easy. Seedless table grapes very difficult.

For seedless the fruit rots unless sprayed. And birds love them so you may not get any.

o

I live just west of Cleveland, in your zone, and I have had seedless concord for a year growing in a big pot with a trellis. I have not had any issues with it. It's covered with little grapes right now.

I also picked up reliance seedless, glenora seedless and lakemont seedless from stark bros nursery, which they marketed as table grapes, early this spring and they are all looking good so far. Unfortunately I can't give any info on how they over-winter in our zone, or anything regarding the yield, but when I received them in the mail, the buds still hadn't swelled and we had a couple late frosts that didn't affect them after they started swelling, but before they broke. Fruitnut knows a lot more than I do on these topics, though, so it sounds like I might have some issues with them still....

Fruitnut, what do you recommend spraying the seedless table grapes with? I only have like 2 bunches per plant and I want to taste them!

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 0:04

Sorry I can't recommend a particular fungicide. But I should figure that out as I have some that might need spraying for the first time.

o

To get large seedless grapes you need to spray them with some hormone that the seeds normally produce, but seedless plants obviously dont have, I forget the name of it but google should find it easily enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here