Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree mishap

Posted by sara7worthington 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:03

Hi i have a question. One of my non thinking kids was walking the dog out by my fruit trees. The dog somehow ripped the outer bark off one of my new apple trees. this is a three foot tall whip that was just starting to leaf out. the top foot and half of the tree was stripped. will this tree come back or is it a lost cause. I was waiting for this nova spy for a while i dont really want to lose it. it appears to have dried out where it was stripped. but it is still green under this drier layer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree mishap

My puppy uprooted and tore one of my trees to shreds not once but TWICE the year I planted it as a whip -- this was like 4 years ago. Broke it in half down to just one foot high. You can safely cut off all the damage even to just one foot high and the tree will recover without a problem. My little one-foot whip grew to about 5 feet high that first year, so it recovered fine. It is better to get rid of all damaged bark than to try to let it heal. Go ahead and cut all the damaged wood off. It will most likely be just fine like mine was. Fruit trees are pretty darn tough.

o

Thank you i will do that.

o

You might also want to build a chicken wire fence around your trees like I did. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tour of Backyard Apple Orchard

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 18:43

Did it take the bark off down to the cambium or just strip off the darker outer layer. That's critical. If it stripped off down to cambium, then a cut back is in order. Just taking off the thin dark outer bark is not an issue.

Reason I ask is if it were stripped to cambium it would not be green for long. It would turn dark.

o

I think it just took the outer layer off. The tree is a tan color where it was stripped. But when you do a light scratch test it is still green under it.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 22:52

That's probably down to the cambium. Meaning that part won't heal over.

o

Alright then i will snip of the injured part. Do i need to seal it or anything after i cut it or will it heal fine.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 0:48

It should heal fine by itself, but if you were nervous about it you could prune it when it's dry, even though apples don't usually have as many problems as stone fruit with susceptibility to disease in these situations.
John S
PDX OR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here