Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Significant different pollination rates for close locations

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 14:07

I have 2 areas with apples separated by maybe 100 yards with my house and some big trees in the in between area.

the area in front of my house, which includes a couple of mature apple threes, 4 flowering crab, and a couple dozen younger apple trees seems to have a near 100% pollination rate. A couple of cherry and plum trees in the same area also get fully pollinated.

My other apples tree area with 5 year old trees fares poorly. There are at least 5 different varieties of apple in this area which were selected with an eye towards cross pollination so theoretically that shouldn't be the problem.

However, assuming bees that can find trees in one place would find a bunch more 100 yards away I'm thinking of just planting a couple of flowering crab trees in the area doing poorly.

thoughts or suggestions on this are welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Significant different pollination rates for close locations

Crab trees are excellent pollinators. Ive noticed the same thing with my 2 apple trees. The one closest to the crab always sets an amazing crop. The one 100 yards away has a much lower polination rate going on.

RE: Significant different pollination rates for close locations

  • Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 17:45

Here in our yard, in Madison, Wisconsin, the blueberry shrubs were not completely pollinated this spring, and so our crop will be reduced somewhat. I would guess that about 70% of the flowers were well pollinated, and the remaining 30% were either partially pollinated or not pollinated. The green fruit is about 3/16 to 1/4 inch diameter now. It is easy to see the difference between flowers that were pollinated and those that were not. We are having some exceptional weather this year, lots of rain, lots of overcast weather, and very little sun. We do have bumblebees, and they look healthy to me, but they were not very active when the blueberry shrubs were in flower.

RE: Significant different pollination rates for close locations


If you plan to plant a few crabapple to help with pollination, wouldn't you want to plant crabapples that are good to eat raw as well?

A few years ago, Lucky P recommended these varieties: Centennial, Wickson, Chestnut, Kerr, Dolgo, Hewes, Trailman, Whitney, Transcendent, Geneva Crab & Almata.

I don't have a lot of space; otherwise, I'd love to try Wickson, Whitney or Centennial myself.

RE: Significant different pollination rates for close locations

mamaung: thx. for suggestions. I'll look into those options.


RE: Significant different pollination rates for close locations

You're welcome.

At this time of the year, it's hard to find out which on-line nurseries are offering them.

Looks like Cummins offers Chestnut and Wickson while Burntridge offers Dolgo and Whitney.

Maybe. others will chime in re. where to buy other varieties.

In a few years, you will tell us which one is your favorite!!!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here